Gassing V's Natural Carbing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, wondering on the pros and cons of how a brew tastes gas v's natural carbing. obviously longer to sugar carb but is it worth it?
cheers scooza

Should taste exactly the same once the beer clears up, providing the carbonation targets are the same. Might take a tad longer to clear with natural carbonation. CO2 is CO2. In saying all that, some people report a "softer" mouthfeel when naturally carbed.

Natural carbing doesnt take long. I get good results within a week given the residual yeast is in good healthy shape (i.e. there was a healthy fermentation).

yep, exact same thing, have tried both in kegs, I now only force or slow carb with Co2 bottle.

I have done both. I prefer force carbing, as it keeps the alchohol content a bit lower (like 5.5%) and it keeps the beer a lot clearer To each their own.

rack early into a keg with the speer cut of, connect PRV and finish ferment.
saves Co2 and is gassed when transfered to storage keg.
called spunding I tink

In theory bottle carbonating beer allows the yeast will scavenge any oxygen which may remain in the bottle which should (if you do not have any fancy bottling apparatus, like at home or a small micro-brewery) help prolong the shelf life. Other than that there is not really much difference.

rack early into a keg with the speer cut of, connect PRV and finish ferment.
saves Co2 and is gassed when transfered to storage keg.
called spunding I tink
yeah heard of some brewery doing this when the beer is 1 plato from FG to achieve their desired carbonation level every time

i am going to try this soon - however i will not be cutting dip tubes or any such thing, just running it through a 1 micron filter into another keg

oh, and if you are going to naturally carb in a keg, make sure you put a squirt of gas into the keg to seal her up

thanks all for the replies. can the beer just go into the kegs and a squirt of co2 and leave a week or so in the garage until ready to gas?

I have had a few good results from bottle conditioned big IPA's 7.5+% brews, both american and english, so I am looking at doing future keg conditioned brews and with 10 x 19L + 1 x 50L cornie kegs I may as well fill the them. And the IPA's were much better after a few months bottle conditioning than the kegs were after a couple of weeks force carb conditioning. Also after conditioning I will transfer to another keg after a few days cold crashing.

Can someone point me to the sugar to carb level ratio for kegs table/spreadsheet?

Cheers Brad

brads, get yourself a copy of brewmate. it has a carb calculator - as well as numerous other calculators for free!

just enter your L and desired carb level and away you go

brads, get yourself a copy of brewmate. it has a carb calculator - as well as numerous other calculators for free!

just enter your L and desired carb level and away you go

Has it? Well I'll be fecked, I've been using brewmate for a while never thought to look in there. He's a clever chap Rob.

Cheers

Force carbing is the way to go, tastes better imho and quicker.

Latest posts

Back