Gassing Up 5l Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cam and DKS, have a read of this thread... http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...7&st=0&
I got a few bungs retrofitted by Oldfartsbruhaus and haven't looked back.
Now I can attach a keg charger to dispense (tricky though.. those things are touchy!!. I must get a regulator inline somewhere.) Or, even easier, I attach the bike valve tube to the top so it opens the schraeder valve and just gravity pour the beer. If I don't finish the keg, I hit it with a whack of co2, wait a minute then depress the valve to expel the air.
I even bought a digital tyre valve that I can measure the pressure with, so I don't store it under or over pressured.

Is it possible to force carb a standard keg and then transfer into the party keg?
yes, instead of getting a beer-gun, a series of progressively smaller chunks of line, spliced together, that will at first slip over a beer faucet, will allow you to gently bottom-pour beer into the 5L.

barbed-fitting-reducer-barbxbarb.jpg

Oh ok then.. If I was just to prime it with dextrose or something would I have to wait as long as bottles for it to condition or not? how long do you leave yours?

I suspect it will carbonate quicker if you condition it a little warmer than usual. Also depends on your yeast strain.

I have just conditioned a batch of Irish Red Ale at low 20's in 4 days. The only reason i know is because i like to taste flavour development throughout conditioning. As it turns out my "red" is ready to roll.

The yeast was a recultured CPA yeast.(Thus its an Aussie Red)

Might want some more knowledgable feedback, but i dont think the higher conditioning temps are as much a problem as ferm temps when it comes to undesirable yeast by-products (Take a grain of salt with that one).

Give it a go, if it is not right by Christmas it will be ready for New Years!

Is it possible to force carb a standard keg and then transfer into the party keg?

I thought of try that but I am not really sure.. another question is should I sterilise the keg or just pour it straight in? it came with a cap on in.

Unless there is a sticker on it that indicates it is sterile, I would be sterilising it first.

Latest posts

Back