Gassing Kegs Out Of The Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Does anyone gas there kegs outside the fridge? As you can guess I only have room for two in the fridge but now have two extra kegs and would like to know if anyone gasses them at room temp? I was thinking if it would be possible to just leave them at serving pressure for a few weeks till one cold keg runs out then just swap, Would that work and will it have any affects on the taste?

Hillbilly.

I was thinking if it would be possible to just leave them at serving pressure for a few weeks till one cold keg runs out then just swap, Would that work and will it have any affects on the taste?

You can but CO2 solubility decreases with temperature, My guess would be to start at 350kpa and leave it connected for a week and see how you go.

You will have to wait for the keg to cool down before attempting to serve from it. Otherwise your other option is to drastically increase the length of your beer line and instantaneously chill your beer through a cold plate. This has worked for me on occasion when I didn't have a fridge available.

Lefty

I haven't verified the calculations, but I was able to modify the crozdog balancing table to do calculate the gas pressure needed for desired carbonation volume at higher temperature (attached). If your temperature is not on there just change a temperature in the fahrenheit/psi table (as the kPa values get their data from it).

View attachment crozdog_balancing_table_hightemp.xls

Hi Hillbilly,
Am lookin at doing the same thing as the fridge here has a two keg limit. We just use a pluto gun via the open fridge door and when the pour rate gets low, just top the gas up and disconnect it.
Wasn't gunna worry about all these calculations and stuff. This way we gas the kegs when filled, to full pressure, turn off the gas, disconnect gas, and then place keg into the fridge. the gas line is then put onto a keg which is being drank and the pressure in the line is then dumped into that keg till no more gas is heard being transfered.
Was looking at doin a couple of double batches soon to boost stocks and just doing a regular gas top up of the room temp kegs (at a low pressure) till they are ready to go into the fridge. should be ample enough to carb the beer a bit as well as keeping a layer of CO2 on top.
This may sound a bit rough but so far have had no worries about beer in the gas line and the beer is well carbed.
Recon that if you give it gas for the first few days and then check if there is still pressure via the relief valve, things should be OK.

Back