Gassing Keg Without C02 Connected

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
just wondering about gassing a keg while not actually connected to gas line, i have only got two taps on my keg fridge and two gas lines, as i have just filled up another keg with a little creatures pale ale i didnt have a spot for it on the gas line,so what i have done is pressurise the keg to 200kp roll it around for a minute then take off the gas line which is needed for another keg. i have it sitting in the fridge solo with no actual gas line connected, now will this gas up okay and is the pressure a bit high, reason for the higher pressure is that i assume the c02 will be mixed into the beer gradually and then drop down in pressure, i usually carbonate @ 80 kp for carbonation and pouring pressure.
cheers

fergi

Just search for the standard "Ross" method of gassing kegs and you will be drinking it in mere moments

fergi
put the gas back on it at your regular 80kpa tomorrow, and see if it takes any more gas in....if it does, its still under, so just put the gas on it daily untill it either stops taking gas in, or is ready to tap.....undercarbed is better than over, and if this goes on for a week, it should be close to correct, anyway, and will equalise itself in a day or so when it goes on the gas permanantly

If it doesn't take any more gas in, vent it down to 80, and check it daily....if the gas pressure increases again on its own without putting extra gas in, it means that it was overcarbed from the earlier higher pressure....in which case, just vent it back down to 80kpa daily, until it remains stable.

Actually, I never have my kegs connected to the gas line. Well, not never. I do hook up the gas in the beginning, and shake it until I cannot hear anymore hissing. Then, i let it sit in the fridge (or out of the fridge, but better in the fridge because the cold liquid can take in more CO2), and occasionally hookup the gas afterward when I notice slow transfer of beer out of the keg.

The beer stays well carbonated all of the time, even when the pressure gets a little low on the inside of the keg.

I do use the cobra taps, with the short line though, which may help me get away with low pressures....(and no CO2 hookup).

If you fermented at 20C, you will have theoretically 0.83 volumes of Co2 disolved in your beer at end of ferment. You are looking for about 2.5 volumes so you must force in another 2.5- 0.8 = 1.7 volumes or 32 litres of gas in a 19L cornie. If you have 1 litre of head space pressurised to 200kpa you now have 2 litres of free CO2 added to the keg. If you let the Co2 dissolve 'til the pressure has dropped to 80kpa, you have added 1.2 litres of gas to the beer so you have to perform that operation 32/1.2 = 26 times. you are going to die of thirst my friend.

thanks guys, well the whole idea of making,drinking beer is so we dont die of thirst, so i will go out and fiddle with it for a while, thanks again guys
fergi

Back