Gas leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
2.3kg gone in 5 days. Boy, does that shit me. I found a gas disconnect that wasn't clicked in properly. I hope I don't that often.

Put your whole gas system under water with the pressure set to 200kPa. Nothing like a proper visual confirmation you have no leaks.

I disassemble all my disconnects and use Skerra food grade lube on all seals and o-rings.

That sucks arse... I lost half a 6.8kg bottle in a few days recently due to a leaky valve on my manifold. Sorted that out with some silicone and been fine ever since thank hell...

+1 for gas test 200kPa two out of the three ball valves on my kk manifold leaked straight out of the box so i replaced them with some brass ball valves and i had to use 6 layers of Teflon tape on the threads to get a seal that didn't leak at 200kPa.

You guys are why I leave my tank turned off..

Charge Kegs >> Turn off >> Relax in the warm fuzzy feeling of a full gas bottle

Besides having the gas off as stated by Yob a simple test to do every now and again is : - disconnect all gas connects to kegs turn up pressure to 200kPa and then turn off gas at the bottle. Check over a number of hours (24 hrs for potentially really slow leaks) and if there is a leak there will be a drop in pressure.
​cheers

grott said:
Besides having the gas off as stated by Yob a simple test to do every now and again is : - disconnect all gas connects to kegs turn up pressure to 200kPa and then turn off gas at the bottle. Check over a number of hours (24 hrs for potentially really slow leaks) and if there is a leak there will be a drop in pressure.
​cheers
Simple and effective.

I do this, but only at whatever serving pressure was set at... might do the high pressure test next time. Good tip grott.

I often do this as well, just need to remember that pressure it was at , good to leave it connected to the manifold (with valves shut off) as well to see if there is a leak there

Used to leave mine on all the time (out doors). Moved into my new place and emptied a small bottle....twice (I forgot about it the second time). Annoying, but I'll try the water test and see if I can determine where the leak is. Where do you get the food-grade silicon besides home brew shops?

Loctite 577 thread sealant for all the threads on the manifold and ensure that the o clamps for the gas lines are on correctly. Make sure u use the right tool for the o clamps ( I got one from bunnings for like 5 dollars). Then do the high pressure water test. This solved all my problems with leaks.
I also found a faulty mfl push fitting to.
**typo on the loctite number

Siborg said:
Used to leave mine on all the time (out doors). Moved into my new place and emptied a small bottle....twice (I forgot about it the second time). Annoying, but I'll try the water test and see if I can determine where the leak is. Where do you get the food-grade silicon besides home brew shops?
Yob said:
Big green shed has it, suitable for potable water, use it on tanks and fish tanks etc
Thought green shed only had PVC tubing not silicon? So only rated for <60C...

Just a noob question but if the keg is still connected and the bottle is turned off whilst at serving pressure, would you expect the pressure to drop over a few days? i'm thinking being absorbed by the beer?

If the keg isn't fully carbed, yes. Otherwise you might have potential leaks hidden by your carbed beer.

If you want to check for leaks, disconnect beer and turn off bottle.

Gas leaks are hard to track down. I like to reduce the number of places a leak can occur by using all barbed fittings (i don't bother with the oetiker clamps myself) and I wouldn't touch JG fitting either, but that just me. I regularly renew keg post, poppet and diptube o-rings, sometimes whether they need it or not. I use loctite sealant on all threads. And remember ball valves can leak from the stem as well sometimes. Also check your disconnect o-rings. A while ago I had a leak which I found was from the gas bottle around the valve stem seal, I repaired the seal and now either turn the gas off when I'm done, or open it all the way so it seals properly, don't just half open it or it could leak.

Back