Gas Leak In My Manifold!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydav

Reaction score
I've had a *very* small gas leak in my new 4 outlet manifold for a few months now. I've tried finding it whilst it was in the fridge to no avail so removed the manifold etc today.

After a lot of very close checking using a detergent gun I found a few tiny bubbles coming from the area where the arrow points to. The fact that they were very small was consistent with the very slow nature of the leak.

I've tried removing the bit going into the manifold - there's a brass bolt thing - to no avail. I certainly don't want to break the beast and as I bought it from the US I can't just take it back.

I'm wondering if I can just seal the leak. I'd originally intended removing it and retaping with gas tape but that obviously won't work now.

Any suggestions?

tony

DSC04133.jpg

DSC04135_edited_1.jpg

Hi tony

I'd originally intended removing it and retaping with gas tape but that obviously won't work now

Why not? It looks threaded to me... If your having problems breaking the gasket glue/nut-lock on the thread try applying some heat to the manifold near the thread.

Asher for now

What price would you pay for a manifold like that?

Looks like you have rounded the fitting trying to unscrew it with an open-ended spanner...is that correct? I can't quite tell from the pic...

If you have only rounded two corners, grab a ring spanner of the correct size, chuck the manifold in your vise and it should come off.

If you have rounded all the edges, do the same, but use vise-grips instead of the ring spanner. Use GOOD QUALITY vise-grips..."Vise Grips" brand is great. DO NOT use multigrips!

PZ.

I wouldnt be surprised if the manufacture used a liquid thread sealer. Some of these set like stone, if this is the case you will have to heat it to break down the sealer, most of these are epoxy based and breakdown at around 180-250oC.
To avoid heat damage to the rest of the fittings, arrange the manifold in a bucket of water (not a plastic bucket) with only the bit you want to heat sticking out.
Heat the tale of the barb, and the socket, when the sealer breaks down it will give off some pretty noxious fumes you want to be up wind.
Cool the fitting, disassemble, clean the threads with a wire brush, apply Gas Tape, thats the coloured Teflon tape that costs twice as much, re assemble and test.

Yes I was once a plumber but I escaped.

MHB

Ahh, that sounds like the go. It certainly doesn't look like normal thread tape.

No, the nut's not rounded - probably just the photo.

I was thinking of using my gas burner that I use to flambe the top of creme brulee. Would this be okay?

tony

Just have a good think before you start, avoid heat damage to surrounding fittings, if you wrap the manifold in wet rag that should be enough, but watch out for steam.

Try to heat the barb more than the body, brass is such a good conductor that the heat will travel down the fitting and heat the thread goo from the inside.

Have your tools handy then cool the whole thing down as quickly as you can, before trying to undo it.

If it wont move give it more heat, should free up reasonably easily, just remember that the heat has to get all the way down the thread.

Good luck

MHB

at the risk of hijacking this post does anyone know where i could purchase a 3 way manifold in oz

Thanks for the help guys. Couldn't wait so went out and did this last night. Still hard to get undone but did eventually give. Re-taped it with gas tape and tested overnight. Still the same as last night so I think it's fixed!

I purchased the manifold from the US - brewers discounts. "Air Distribution 1/4" 4 Way with Check Valve". Cost $43US at the time. I've also got a T piece with an inline valve so that totals 5 connections (vs 13 kegs in the fridge but can't have everything ;)).

tony

Was putting it back into the fridge this morning when I heard a definate hissing sound :(. Pulled it out and found that it was now leaking around the individual hose connections (there's two bits that have threads and it was the "outside" part - not the bit that connected to the main body of the manifold.

Pulled all four connections apart and retaped so now all fine.

But... found that the taps don't seem too good at stopping the flow of gas to the individual kegs. Still some going through even when fully off. Must say I'm a bit disappointed and if I'd bought locally I'd be taking it back to be fixed. OTOH I'm sure I can live with it just annoying not to be able to shut off each keg.

tony

Back