Gas In Qd - Co2 Leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
Hi all

Finally got around to hooking up my new keg setup. Sounded complicated when reading about it but once I had everything in front of me, it was too easy. Did some pressure tests and pushed some starsan out through the tap. All good. Big ups to all the contributers of this forum. Lots of info and experience which made it so easy for me.

I do have one problem. I've gone with a dual setup. I've got a gas splitter that allows me to connect two kegs to gas. At each the end of the two hoses there is a Gas-in QD. If I leave the gas on and remove the QDs, one of them is leaking CO2. The other one is fine.

My assumption is that the QDs shouldn't leak the CO2. Is this fixable? Or do I have to replace it? Seems ok when its on the keg (I did some starsan tests of all the joins) so I guess its not a major.

Hi all

Finally got around to hooking up my new keg setup. Sounded complicated when reading about it but once I had everything in front of me, it was too easy. Did some pressure tests and pushed some starsan out through the tap. All good. Big ups to all the contributers of this forum. Lots of info and experience which made it so easy for me.

I do have one problem. I've gone with a dual setup. I've got a gas splitter that allows me to connect two kegs to gas. At each the end of the two hoses there is a Gas-in QD. If I leave the gas on and remove the QDs, one of them is leaking CO2. The other one is fine.

My assumption is that the QDs shouldn't leak the CO2. Is this fixable? Or do I have to replace it? Seems ok when its on the keg (I did some starsan tests of all the joins) so I guess its not a major.

What type of splitter?

No joint should leak C02 if it is designed to be closed when disconnected. Are all the seals ok and free of any objects which may (however small) impact the error? Have you tried a rebuild or isolation test on the 'faulty' part to isolate the problem?

Hi all

shouldn't be the splitter which is essentially just a "T" piece.
As a last resort lightly grease the base of the pin with a bit of food-grade grease or Vasso & give the pin a few pushes in & out to see if that fixes things?
Almost all (grey) QD's used by forum members here are John Guest QD's.
Contact the seller & request a replacement if the above doesn't work.
You didn't get them on Evilbay did you ?

TP

Nah, got all parts from Craftbrewer. Everything from the bottle through the 'T' to the two gas-in QDs is solid. Tested all JG fitting joins. The only issue is the one QD that leaks CO2. I can hear and feel it coming out. I'll give the food grade lube a go. Might just need greasing so it clicks back into place.

Thanks.

FYI - Greasing the pin in the QD and pushing it in a few times fixed the issue. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back