Gas In Fridge Vs Outside Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi i was wondering, does a gas bottle use more gas when in the fridge or outside. i only have a 1 litre bottle which fits in the fridge along side 2 corny kegs. should it be in there or outside. any help appreciated. cheers.

It won't make a difference to gas use. Its the temperature at which the CO2 is dissolved into the beer which would make a difference to CO2 use, not the temperature it is stored. Inside or outside wont make a difference, except to how much you're fridge can store. One bonus of keeping it in the fridge is you're fridge will be more energy efficient if you take up more air space.

I have my gas bottle outside my fridge to give more room inside.

It may be splitting hairs but ....
To chill the bottle from room temperature to fridge temperature takes energy.

As far as how much CO2 you use,,, as previously noted.... the temperature of the gas bottle makes no difference to how much gas you will use.

As previously mentioned keeping the bottle in the fridge will change nothing CO2 wise, however I have been led to believe it is bad for the regulators -particularly if they are put in a taken out reasonably often- due to moisture.

thanks for all responses and the link. cheers

I used to have my gas bottle outside when I had a double garage (for about 3 years).

Now I put it inside the fridge as I only have a single garage :( and space is tight.

Have noticed no difference.

It may be splitting hairs but ....
To chill the bottle from room temperature to fridge temperature takes energy.

Yes it takes energy to cool th co2 bottle down once, but to keep it at fridge temp takes minimal energy. If there was an empty space where the co2 bottle was, that air would leave the fridge every time the door was opened and have to be re chilled. A full fridge being far more efficient then a empty fridge is just one of those greeny facts that hippy students will hand out to you on leaflets (like flicking electrical appliances off at the wall) and an excellent excuse to always have your fridge full of beer.

Latest posts

Back