Gas burner capacity for 5L batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I want to get together a setup for doing multiple 5L batches at the same time (I'm thinking 4 total) for experimentation.

My plan is as below:
- Use 10L coolers as mash tuns
- Place 2x 10L coolers in a 40L eski, and put water into 40L eski @ mash temp to minimise heat loss from small batches
- Have a setup with 4x burners and 4x 10L pots for boil

I want to keep this as cheap as possible. Any ideas / experience with this? I was thinking 2 x cheap 2-burner portable gas stove setups.

Thanks
James

Why not brew a2 X 20lt batch and split in half or are you experimenting with hops ????????
Stove top ?

When you say portable gas stove, are you talking about the butane ones, or the proper LPG ones? I reckon 2 of these would work for you -

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Primus-Double-Iron-Burner/215721?menuFrom=571613

But you'll need 2 gas bottles, or a line splitter or something to run 4 burners in total. I don't think the small ass butane ones would be very good. They might get 5L to a boil, but they're pretty crappy, especially when it comes to the wind...

Keep in mind, a five liter batch wont necessarily yield the same result when / if you decide to scale it up, if thats your intent. There are good reasons for this. Reasons that I cant remember.
And honestly, if you're on a budget, a piecemeal approach works out more expensive in the long run. I've had the same clunky three ring burner for probably eight years, gets 50L to a rolling boil, cost like $65.

You could easily boil 4 x 5L pots on a normal stove-top.

A multiple bay "bain marie" would be ideal for small multiple mashes if you could pick one up cheap. .. .

When you say portable gas stove, are you talking about the butane ones, or the proper LPG ones? I reckon 2 of these would work for you -

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Primus-Double-Iron-Burner/215721?menuFrom=571613

But you'll need 2 gas bottles, or a line splitter or something to run 4 burners in total. I don't think the small ass butane ones would be very good. They might get 5L to a boil, but they're pretty crappy, especially when it comes to the wind...

This looks like the go!

Cheaper still if obtaining one of fifty thousand BBQs left by the roadside each week. I used this set four burner freebie up for my early brews. Fit 4 x 10l pots easy.

01082010128.jpg

Watch the legs on these, i had one and the legs came loose often...

i was boiling mud crabs and it fell sideways.... thankfully no one was hurt and it was near the end of the boil so we still ate em anyway

better off with ring burners imo

Yeah, I reckon I'd be putting the burners from that into a different frame, if only to give it more space. For some reason it seems to be cheaper to get that stand and 2 burners, than it would be to buy two 2 ring burners on their own...

Back