Gas/air Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewalk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently set up a keg system with bar fridge and the 18 litre Coke kegs and the first keg went fairly well except for too much froth on pouring, I put it down to not having pulled a beer from a tap for many years and thought the technique would improve in time and did a bit as the keg went down ( and what an empty feeling I had when it ran out!). However, on the 2nd keg the problem seems to have amplified and a check of the line shows it to be half beer and half gas and results in an explosion of froth and spray upon pouring. I started the pressure at 70kpa as the instructions said and have since brought it down to about 20kpa but the problem still exists and when I see the amount of beer being wasted it's enough to bring on the tears.
Anyone got any idea on what I may have done wrong?

Regards
Dave

kirem said:
There is plenty of information out there on this topic, but here goes.

Firstly, be sure you haven't over carbonated your beer.

Secondly, you need to make sure your system is balanced.
I used this resource, there are others.

http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public_html/docs/balance.html

Thirdly, make sure there are no leaks.
[post="120829"][/post]​

Thanks Kirem, I'll check it out

Further to previous post the last 5 pots (10z) poured perfectly before the keg died (and a little bit of me with it). I'll be careful with the carbonation on the upcoming keg to see how that goes. Doesn't seem to have any leaks.

Mate, couple of ideas:

- CHeck disconnects and make sure they're not leaking (prob not likely, new system)
- Check temp of beer, make sure it's not 3/4 frozen
- If not these, it's likely to be over carbonated

Also, don't worry too much about wastage - the froth condenses to bugger all actual beer (ie.. leave a full glass of froth and it's only actually 10% liquid or so).

I was having arseholes with this same prob a while ago. Frozen/freezing kegs was the issue.

Cheers - MIKe

Back