Gardening Australia, turning your hops into an abomination!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't aware that Mrs Beeton had recipes for ale/beer, or maybe I just passed over it at the time. Must have a look!

Maybe I should make a batch as instructed, and send to Gardening Australia. I'd include a note saying "This beer is the best I've ever tried. Enjoy!"

antiphile said:
Maybe I should make a batch as instructed, and send to Gardening Australia. I'd include a note saying "This beer is the best I've ever tried. Enjoy!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE

TheWiggman said:
Come on, don't hate on it too much. It specifies that you need a brewing kit in the ingredients, and then says follow kit instructions for fermenting (which as most know is not ideal but that's how we all started right?).

So basically -
1. Crush grains very agriculturally. Normally kits come with crushed grains anyway.
2. Heat (too much) water, steep specialty grains that would be included with said kit
?. Missing the step to remove grains
3. Bring to boil and add hops. (details lacking about hop timing)

Other steps are as per normal brewing process. Crap if you included every single step with all exceptions the instructions would be so complicated you wouldn't know where to start.
I've seen worse instructions.
Yes, but if the write up is indeed about how to brew all grain then there wouldn't be a beer kit involved. I would imagine brewing kit in this instance is referring to the fermenter, bottles etc.

So, it's pretty terrible really. Mashing in bath water temps is rubbish, at least if that's the only temperature step, not removing grains before boiling the hops is rubbish. Those two things alone would result in pretty shit beer I'd imagine. It does mention using existing recipes so all the hop timing information should be in those. As should mash temperatures really if they are AG recipes.

How hard is it to follow instructions something like this....

For simplicity I'll leave out the items needed but they would be included above the instructions.

Clean and sanitize all equipment prior to using it.

1. Crush grains by putting them in a plastic bag and rolling them with a rolling pin

2. Heat (desired volume) of water to 67C, and place the cracked grains into this.

3. Leave grains to steep for an hour, making sure the temperature doesn't drop

4. Remove grains/strain wort into another pot, and bring to the boil

5. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops as per the recipe instructions

6. Chill wort in ice bath

7. Strain wort into fermenting vessel and pitch yeast

8. Allow to ferment until you achieve stable SG readings over 2-3 days, then bottle adding 5-6 grams of table sugar per 750mL bottle.

The other more detailed stuff like temp control and shit doesn't really need to be included for beginners but that type of instruction should be easily enough followed for anyone starting out. Certainly, it's a far better description of how to brew than the crap in the magazine article.

Jesus Christ you ******* nerds. It's a footnote in GARDENING ******* AUSTRALIA. Do you really expect an in depth and accurate description on all grain brewing in there? If BYO for some reason had a short paragraph on pruning.....I dunno.....rhododendrons or something......would you expect that to be spot on?

jlm said:
Jesus Christ you ******* nerds. It's a footnote in GARDENING ******* AUSTRALIA. Do you really expect an in depth and accurate description on all grain brewing in there? If BYO for some reason had a short paragraph on pruning.....I dunno.....rhododendrons or something......would you expect that to be spot on?
How dare you!!!

This is the internet, where everything must be taken seriously.

The other more detailed stuff like temp control and shit doesn't really need to be included for beginners but that type of instruction should be easily enough followed for anyone starting out. Certainly, it's a far better description of how to brew than the crap in the magazine article.

Or how about 'suspend all the grains in a bag in a pot of cool waterand then bring the liquid very slowly to just below a boil, stirring occasionally. The whole process should take about an hour and a half'.

Simple, and the brew will go through all the required stages for a mash, including the starch rest, etc, specified by some brewers.

Wouldn't be surprised if 300 years ago, this is pretty much what mum told to kid as they brewed the next table beer....

How dare you!!!

This is the internet, where everything must be taken seriously.

Heh.

But it's more fun to act like a pedant and get into a huge self-righteous argument, surely? :p

Moral outrage is perfectly fine on the internet over trivial matters.

This is a typical example of how the media, when a subject that one is knowledgeable about arises, invariably gets it dead ******* wrong.

As, for every news story or article there has got to be people out there who are knowledgeable on that subject, then it's clear that most if not all media content is fucked.

Reminds me.... I have a brewing book by someone who I won't name apart from saying this is her, covering a lot of brewing territory - beer, mead, cider, and kefirs and kombuchas.

She has some simple home recipes for 'soda pops' "(but kids, ask Mom or Pop if it's safe first!" (sorry, just channelling my inner American)) where she recommends just chucking some sugar and yeast in bottles and then opening them the next day! Talk about a perishable product!

No, I wouldn't expect an in depth description of all grain brewing in a gardening magazine, but they could have done a bit better research than pulling out great great great grandmother's recipe book from the bloody 1850s.

Next week they'll tell you how to create peace in the middle east and cure cancer.

Vini2ton said:
Next week they'll tell you how to create peace in the middle east and cure cancer.
I think some of our British friends have already answered those ones:

Last edited by a moderator:
jlm said:
1. That's hopefully why byo won't run articles on pruning but stick with what they know.
2. Nerds? Did you forget where you are?

Black Devil Dog said:
Can I use the bath water that I've just bathed in?
Umm the thought alone terrifies me,so the answer is no.
Think about it,beer + toe jam+ crotch sweat + ....umm,oh I know...call it VB or umm West End Draught........

Latest posts

Back