Galaxy..friend Or Foe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was happy with it at mid 30's IBUs (all after 30 min) plus a small amount added to primary halfway through the ferment, in a 40% wheat ale.

What about as a 0min addition to the kettle? With Citra I don't dry hop it, but use up to 0.5g/L with 1g/L Cascade at 0min in my Citra MIDAPA. Maybe that could be a good test for me, 0.5g/L Galaxy to 1g/L Cascade and make a Galaxy MIDAPA.

QldKev

Kettle additions seem okay for me; used with other hops it's a great hop - but as many others have commented it's not great when it's had the crap boiled out of it (harsh bitterness compounds) or is dipped in cold (harsh sharp green flavours).

Your MIDAPA with cascade would be a great way to do it. Do you use NZ Cascade?

Nick would you do this after primary fermentation has slowed down or at the end of fermentation just before CCing? Would it make a difference in what still active yeast would pull out of it compared to yeast thats gone to sleep?

Sounds like galaxy has a lot of mates, with some who say hello but wouldnt hang out with it, and one or two who are sleeping with it on the side.. :D

In the keg. In a removable voile swag. I prefer to do it this way as it's not gassing off any aromas, but more importantly because I'm actively "sampling" it - so I yank it when it's just right. Dry hopping in secondary I find I can miss this point and be left with lawnclippings pale ale. 'Cept with Citra ... that stuff seems to be a bulletproof dry hopper.

Kettle additions seem okay for me; used with other hops it's a great hop - but as many others have commented it's not great when it's had the crap boiled out of it (harsh bitterness compounds) or is dipped in cold (harsh sharp green flavours).

Your MIDAPA with cascade would be a great way to do it. Do you use NZ Cascade?

Nope only US cascade for this one, I find the NZ just doesn't give it the same hit and lacks some of the flavors for an APA style.

QldKev

I have been using Galaxy Hops for 3 years so its a friend to me and it would appear to be the friend of many others...............my hop merchant has informed me that they will not be getting any hop flowers from this seasons harvest due to a undersupply from this seasons crop , apparently hop plants take 2- 3 years to produce large quantaties of flowers, combined with a massive demand from the micro brewery market.

Oh well, pellets it is - although i have just bought a hopscreen for my kettle.

Does anyone have a Galaxy Hop dealer in their neighbourhood that they are willing to give up <_< ? They must do mail order!!

Cheers,

DB.

Back