Fusel Alcohol

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
It appears I've brewed up a few batches of rather strong fusel alcohol. The beer tastes fine and very drinkable save for the splitting head (and I'm quite tolerant to beer induced head pain).
Do these nasties subside with time in the bottle?
Thanks.

Due to my high brewing temps.
I just read on wiki that low PH can contribute to fusel also.
I've been using filtered water. The filter is a very good charcoal one.

Hi they certainly do subside.

How strong are they?

6 months makes a bit of difference. A year even more.

these batches are 6% and 7%.
Don't know if I'll make 6 months!

What was your ferment temp?

I doubt it'll subside but not really sure, maybe just drink fewer in one sitting if the taste is ok?

Yeah, Moad that's the plan. Although I will say the other night I did have some wine with my chops and quite a lot of these beers. Will try having just a few and see what happens.
Temp way too hot at about 28deg. Looking into cooling next batch. Prob swamp cooler.

I've had similar issues with my last two batches, so literally I know your pain!
What yeast did you use? I used US-05 with both the offending batches.
My resolve has been to just stick with saisons until the weather cools off a bit, or until I sort out some temp control.
Whichever happens first.

Are you sure its fusel alcohol giving you the headaches and not simply to many beers?
I had a batch of Belgian strong, due to me somehow knocking the plug on the fermentation fridge ajar, ferment in the mid to high 20s. 'Very drinkable' is not how I would describe the result. Tipped onto the lawn would be more accurate.
Even after six months, still tasted like fizzy,estery paint stripper. If anything, the solvent flavor got worse.

Hi Ruthanne,
Using the coopers yeast with the tin. Haven't tried anything as groovey as saison yet.
Dave,
I don't really know. Doesn't smell like paint stripper. I've got some new stuff I will try on Sat.
But you are probably correct. I'll try a smaller 'sample' and see how I go. I've been drinking that batch (all gone now) for a while and never noticed the headaches before. I also had some of my cider which may be the culprit. Too many variables I think. Time for a new test!
But my next batch is getting brewed cooler.

Fusels taste like wet cardboard.

Breath in over the back of your toung after a sip. You'll get a nice hint of cardboard... that's wet.

Hey Fellas.
I'm just about to do a Coopers Ginger Beer and a Brigalow Cider, both of which have a high brew temp of about 25deg.
Should I ignore this and go with my beer ferment temp of 18deg?
I like not getting headaches.
Thanks.

manticle said:
Lower, consistent temp. 18-20.
What manticle said and also, how many packets of kit yeast are you pitching? You may be under pitching by a large amount. Are you dehydrating or not? That will further change your pitch rate.

elcarter said:
Fusels taste like wet cardboard.

Breath in over the back of your toung after a sip. You'll get a nice hint of cardboard... that's wet.
You sure? Oxidation tastes like cardboard, fusel alcohol tastes hot- like spirit warmth. Well according to my taste buds anyway- we are all different.

Jazzman said:
Hey Fellas.
I'm just about to do a Coopers Ginger Beer and a Brigalow Cider, both of which have a high brew temp of about 25deg.
Should I ignore this and go with my beer ferment temp of 18deg?
I like not getting headaches.
Thanks.
I did a coopers GB not long ago. Went with 18C, turned out great. (Made with 500g dex and 500g LDME)

Back