Fusel Alcohol And Yeast Re-hydration?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Pretty new to HB but I've gone all in with 2 fermenters, 5 kegs and as of today 2 dedicated fridges :icon_cheers:

Reading (studying) these forums I've found the term "fusel alcohol" used a few times and understand it is caused by higher fermenting temps and tastes like sh!t - hence today's acquisition... a fridge to ferment in!

I'm at the point where I'm about to try re-hydrating my dried yeast before pitching... are there any concerns to be had regarding temp and time when pitching re-hydrating yeast?... and then possible fusel alcohol as a result?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi all,

Pretty new to HB but I've gone all in with 2 fermenters, 5 kegs and as of today 2 dedicated fridges :icon_cheers:

Reading (studying) these forums I've found the term "fusel alcohol" used a few times and understand it is caused by higher fermenting temps and tastes like sh!t - hence today's acquisition... a fridge to ferment in!

I'm at the point where I'm about to try re-hydrating my dried yeast before pitching... are there any concerns to be had regarding temp and time when pitching re-hydrating yeast?... and then possible fusel alcohol as a result?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I'd say it's good practise to rehydrate at temps around pitching/ferment temps (18-22) I can't promise you that high temps in that time will create noticeable flavour profiles but too high may kill the yeast, it's fairly simple to doi and t's probably good practice/habit for when you start making starters . Use boiled cooled water though, not warm water straight from the tap.

When rehydrating there is no fermentation happening at all so you there is no way to get fusel alcohols or any fermentation by-products. Around 27C is apparently optimal for the yeast hydration process. Use about 100-200mL of water and leave it for 10 minutes before stirring and leaving for another 10 minutes. Keep it covered.

As per Fermentis instructions...

Pitching instructions:
Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C 3C (80F 6F). Once the
expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream
into the fermentation vessel.

Back