Fully Automated Brewing System Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There goes all the enjoyment of brewing your own beer.

Franko

I completely and utterly disagree. If he (presumably) were to purchase an off-the-shelf, fully automated brewing system I could understand that comment.

OP: What is your experience like with mash brewing? Designing equipment, and especially the control side of things will require some pretty solid knowledge of all stages of the brewing process. Definitely have a look at Brewtroller as kirem has suggested, that looks like it could do quite a bit of the automation work for you (on the wort production side of things, anyway)

think vertically. Gravity is a hell of a lot more reliable than pumps or grain elevators.

Good luck

There goes all the enjoyment of brewing your own beer.

Franko

I completely and utterly disagree. If he (presumably) were to purchase an off-the-shelf, fully automated brewing system I could understand that comment.

Im sorry to disagree I'm all for technology I love the stuff but IMHO a handmade handcrafted beer it wont be..

Franko

True, it's not handmade, handcrafter beer, but it's beer made from a handmade (possibly), self-designed brewery, and I think that's just as, if not more impressive!

Then again... Coopers still have "Hand Made by the Coopers family" on their bottles! :lol:

I guess it depends on what you enjoy about brewing as others have said... the amateur/pro engineers in here love the process, design and automation side, the am/pro microbiologists get a chubby from the yeast management side, and others love actually getting their hands dirty.

think vertically. Gravity is a hell of a lot more reliable than pumps or grain elevators.

Good luck
I agree with my learned brewer here. Gravity is great. Still I also like the technology that is built into my system. Mines three tiers with techno bling things for good control. It makes impressive beer !
GB

Gotta disagree with the anti sentiments here, even if he did go and buy an off the shelf automated brewery. To me the whole point of home brewing isn't so I can spend 5 hours of my day mixing grains and water and waiting and boiling and cleaning shit up etc - I more like the side of it where I get to design my own recipes, and adjust them based on the taste of the finished product. I didn't get into this hobby so I could wait around for a big pot to boil, or so I could spend half my day waiting for conversion, or scrubbing steel pots. I got into it because I like to be able to design my own beer.

Gotta disagree with the anti sentiments here, even if he did go and buy an off the shelf automated brewery. To me the whole point of home brewing isn't so I can spend 5 hours of my day mixing grains and water and waiting and boiling and cleaning shit up etc - I more like the side of it where I get to design my own recipes, and adjust them based on the taste of the finished product. I didn't get into this hobby so I could wait around for a big pot to boil, or so I could spend half my day waiting for conversion, or scrubbing steel pots. I got into it because I like to be able to design my own beer.

Spot on!!!

and imagine how many diffent beers you could make, at only 5 litres a go you could try an new recipe every couple of days.

ill be really interested how this turns out

Bandito,

When I designed my HERMS I originally intended it to be a set & forget arrangement. The first couple times testing it, however, made me realise that set & forget just wasn't feasible. There are a lot of things that can go wrong - your mash can set (no runoff), the pump can fail to prime, a leak can develop or the valves can get get stuck in the wrong state, etc etc etc. Not to mention the times when you want to extend/shorten your sacch rest, boil, change your hop additions, etc. To fully automate it, you have to have the necessary instrumentation/sensors to detect fault conditions, and they're expensive. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that it's going to be tough. Your several month timeline will be stretched to several years by the time you finish.

I'd advise you to break the project into smaller ones. Each runs to completion, then the operator (you) is alerted. You then set up the system for the next step, press go and it performs the next step. And so on. This will allow you to squash the bugs in your system in a systematic fashion and it will also allow you to make sensible changes on the fly. Once these bugs are gone, you can then look into chaining these automated tasks together, a couple at a time.

I just wanted to warn you because I've been developing products and systems for many years and nothing ever works the first time. Take it from me, your project is very ambitious.

Good luck Bandito, sounds like a great project to me..
Don't let all the squabbling over automation put you off, brew it your way.
Cheers
Jonathon..

So what if it is a university assignment? It'd still be a project of his own choosing, and an admirable one at that. Many folks like to open and close valves by hand. Some like to build stuff to do things for them. Maybe that would take the enjoyment out of it for the former crowd, but for the latter, the enjoyment is in the solving of these problems through careful design. Every person on this forum is a geek, in one way or another. We're just geeks in different ways.

Yes your right LethalCorpse , we are a all a bit geeky ,I had built my first Brewery before I had made a mashed a beer it was like I was on a mission.

I suppose building a simple brewery involves a fair bit of time and cost , I cant imagine the time and cost and skills involved in an automated brewery but it can be done .

I just stopped changing the brewery and concentrated on the brewing.

Best of luck Bandito

Pumpy ;)

Anyway, I am going to design and build an automated system to: mill, mash, lauter, boil, add hops, chill, culture yeast, mix yeastwith the wort, ferment, rack and clean everything including the mash tun.

:eek:

i thought i was cutting edge stepping up to a march pump from a 5 litre jug :p

question, what do you plan to package the beer in, kegs or bottles ?

just me, but if i had the resources/brains to undertake this i'd be considering at least 12 litre batches, good luck

cheers

Dave

Something I've learned alot about now that I run a fabrication workshop. You can spend 10 hours working something out in CAD that someone can work out in 5 minutes when manufacturing.

B)

and enjoying drinking it

I just wanted to warn you because I've been developing products and systems for many years and nothing ever works the first time. Take it from me, your project is very ambitious.

"No project has ever been completed on time and on budget. Yours will not be the first." ;)

Why?

Just because you can?

Lots of potential problems to keep you busy designing an automated brewery. How will you decide when to turn off the grain mill? How will you select all the grains and the amounts? How will you make water chemistry adjustments? How will your machine know if the yeast starter is done and good? How will you know if you have hit gravity? How will your machine know if the brewery is clean? I have never seen a computer or robot that can perform as well as a human in multitasking situations. Sure in repetitive or single tasks they rule.

I guess if you like to design stuff and tinker more then you like brewing then it is a worthy pursuit. For the amount of money you are talking about you can certainly buy beer for less. The family may like to have you around also. But if you are the neighborhood weird scientist with no other tugs on your time go for it.

Dont bother about what I have to say. I still think people are nuts for paying for bottled water that comes from that same place as the tap water they get at home. Maybe you will are onto something.

Excellent topic.
You'll get this sorted in no time.
Probably suggest to get a manual system together then automate each part as you go along.
This will get you brewing sooner and allow you to be more thorough with each part.

My 2c, get amongst it

Yeah man, Go for it!.

Keep us all posted on how you go with this. I have to agree with some of the guys here and reckon you should increase your batch size to 12L.

Cheers

I am planning for the system to have about a 5 litre fermenter capacity

Wow that's tiny! having such a small system could open up a whole can of worms like lower efficiency,
less thermal mass to maintain temps, it could even be a struggle to maintail consistancy (e.g. 1.42g vs 1.48g of 15%aa galaxy could throw the bitterness out of balance)

For me designing, prototyping and implementing an automated system has worked out to be a bit of a catch-22. I spent time working on my system to save time on brewday.

Good luck to you

Rob.

moving back on track - some one in a prev post mentioned brewtroller to support automating the a homebrew system.

I am in the process of researching home brew systems to hopefully design a brew system that is functional, semi manual and has plenty of bling, and stumbled on the BCS-460, manufactured be embedded control concepts. I like the product as there is a thrid party app to drive the software via a itouch/iphone and appears to offer flexability and diversity to grow and modify the way you would like to control your system.

Currently in my mind a mixture of the Brutus Ten and the BCS-460 represents a nice mixture of manual interaction on a brewday plus the bling factor!!!

Link attached.

http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/

MWS

Back