Fuller’s London Porter clone: Improve this recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
I'm looking at this recipe for a porter:

Fuller’s London Porter clone
(5 gallons/ 19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.054 FG = 1.014
IBU = 30 SRM = 46 ABV = 5.4% Ingredients
8.27 lbs. (3.75 kg) Muntons pale ale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (75 °L)
1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) brown malt
0.75 lb. (0.34 kg) chocolate malt
6.25 AAU Fuggle hops (60 min)
(1.3 oz./37 g of 4.7% alpha acids)
3.15 AAU Fuggle hops (15 min)
(0.67 oz./19 g of 4.7% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White
Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast

I'd really like to make the beer creamy and smooth, is there anything I could add or omit to achieve this?

I should add that I'm using this recipe as a base, I'm not really interested in making a clone of the london porter.

Thanks!

I'd reckon torrified wheat will give you the creaminess you're after.
That and a handpull with a fine sparkler!

Cheers

You'll have quite a lot of roastiness with that amount of Brown and Chocolate malts for a 19 litre batch.
If you want smooth, cut them down by about a third. You'll still have plenty of colour and dark malty depth, and you'll fit better into the Porter category and away from closing in on Stout.

Great, thanks lads. So I'll reduce the brown and chocolate malt by a third, is there anything else i can add to aid in smoothness, wheat or oats? Or is that just for stouts?

Should i then increase the pale malt after decreasing the brown and chocolate? Or not necessary?

thisispants said:
Great, thanks lads. So I'll reduce the brown and chocolate malt by a third, is there anything else i can add to aid in smoothness, wheat or oats? Or is that just for stouts?

Should i then increase the pale malt after decreasing the brown and chocolate? Or not necessary?
Yeah, up the base malt, or add something like Abbey or Amber instead.

Back