Fuggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - This is a great hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1- This hop will never go in my beer again

• 0 - Never used Fuggle

• Total voters
I know Styrian Goldings is supposed to be Slovenian grown Fuggles, or in the case of NZ Styrians, NZ grown Fuggles taken to the Land of the Long White Cloud by way of Slovenia, but to me they are really quite different to Fuggles.

Fuggles pellets always give that 'icky' perfumy character for me. Styrians don't, more of a citrus character and sometimes hints of vanilla.

My most recent beer was quite generously aroma hopped with a blend of NZ Styrians, EKG and Centennial, and so far the aroma is coming along very nicely indeed with none of that character I associate with Fuggles.

A great pellet hop to use with kits, have mainly used as an aroma hop in bitter & pale ale brews, but also works well in "crowd pleaser" coopers canadian blonde, hop tea 2tsp boiled 15 min, 2 tsp steeped 5 min, liquid added to fermenter.
Mark

I know Styrian Goldings is supposed to be Slovenian grown Fuggles, or in the case of NZ Styrians, NZ grown Fuggles taken to the Land of the Long White Cloud by way of Slovenia, but to me they are really quite different to Fuggles.

Fuggles pellets always give that 'icky' perfumy character for me. Styrians don't, more of a citrus character and sometimes hints of vanilla.

My most recent beer was quite generously aroma hopped with a blend of NZ Styrians, EKG and Centennial, and so far the aroma is coming along very nicely indeed with none of that character I associate with Fuggles.

I would second your opinion Colinw Styrian Goldings are nothing like Fuggles IMO. And as an aside, if they are descended from Fuggles why aren't they called Styrian Fuggles :huh:

Cheers
Andrew

I would second your opinion Colinw Styrian Goldings are nothing like Fuggles IMO. And as an aside, if they are descended from Fuggles why aren't they called Styrian Fuggles :huh:

Cheers
Andrew

Found this explanation

"SLOVENIAN STYRIAN GOLDINGS
Brewing Quality This distinguished variety is well known throughout the world and although identical to Fuggle in many ways it does have its own distinctive characteristics. The perfume-like hoppy character that was again used mainly in European lagers works very well in the less malty flavoured golden coloured beers.

Origin/History Although known in Slovenia as the Savinja Golding this variety is the same as the English Fuggle. It is recorded that hops were introduced into Slovenia from England and it seems likely that the Fuggle variety was supplied under the misnomer of Fuggles Goldings - a practice at one time resorted to since Goldings were deemed to be of superior quality to Fuggles. The variety was fully adopted by Slovenia in 1930 when their other varieties were exterminated by Powdery Mildew "

There must be a difference between the Styrians and the Fuggles, coz my lhbs has been reminding me that they are the same, but he recently obtained a stock of the Styrians Goldings.
Now why would he do that unless there was some discernible difference?

No need to answer, my lhbs man. Purely a rhetorical question.

Having said that, I grabbed a plug of the Styrian, but am yet to use it.

Seth :p

I thought Styrian Goldings were derived from EKG or some other "real" Golding variety?

I also thought it was a seedless variety, making it at least different in that manner from Fuggles.

Also, if Fuggles came about in the early 1900s and the Slovenians adopted them as their staple hop in 1930 (after the obvious years of mutation required to become seedless before the advent of more modern techniques), I find it hard to believe that they are Fuggles.

PZ.

I thought Styrian Goldings were derived from EKG or some other "real" Golding variety?

I also thought it was a seedless variety, making it at least different in that manner from Fuggles.

Also, if Fuggles came about in the early 1900s and the Slovenians adopted them as their staple hop in 1930 (after the obvious years of mutation required to become seedless before the advent of more modern techniques), I find it hard to believe that they are Fuggles.

PZ.

And the earth is still flat...Ay PZ :lol:

Good Day
I use Fuggles hop plugs for aroma and some flavour along with EKG pellets for bittering. Could not get EKG plugs so used the Fuggles in bitters, I good combination IMHO.

i've never really liked this stuff and yet i keep using it cause i think i should like it.... get me a brewing psychologist.

i agree with barry, i do think it tastes much better in combination with goldings than it does on its own - product much more than the sum.

but when i've relied on fuggles to provide the main flavour or aroma i don't like it. it's like an old-man hop -all mothballs, pipe tobacco, worn leather armchairs, shaggy wet dog, and musk.

otoh i love styrian which tastes much sharper and greener to me.

have tried us fuggles courtesy of ross and didn't really get into em - a bit coarse and obvious.

Nup totally agreed, this thread is getting plain fuggly. :lol:

Styrian Golding and Fuggle have no discernable similarities whatsoever from a flavour perspective ... As stated earlier for those who don't particularly care for the rotten vegie patch character of Fuggles pellets (can't vouch for plugs) should use Willamette as a nicely refined substitute.

They say the Styrian Golding is supposedly derived from Fuggle rootstock or so legend has it. That being said so are most of the Kiwi triploid varities IIRC the same applies to Australian Tettnang and Hallertau. :unsure: Can't say any of them are all that "fuggly" either. :blink:

I can also remember some comminque on brewing forums several years ago a chap by the name of Andy Walsh alluding to the fact that US Tettnanger hops were also derived from Fuggle rootstock also. So in some ways it's the Grandad of quite a few species.

BTW the character is pick from Styrian Golding is orange rind/marmalade.

Warren -

According to the USDA info here, US Tettnang is Fuggles as warren said. Willamette is also derived from Fuggle, but I've also found it to be a better hop to use. I really liked the all Willamette pale ale I made. (I find Willamette very orangey too.) Looking at my notes, I've only used Fuggle in combination with EKG so maybe I've just been lucky. :D

Any ideas for more Hop of the week hops? :unsure:

Looking back at the notes about my one and only beer with Willamette in it - a kit & booster porter brewed in 2002 - the dominant impression I got from Willamette was apricots!

I love Fuggles. I think they are a great hop that works great in 50/50 combination with Golding, but also works well on it's own. I've never expereinced any of the off flavours that others have.

I also don't understand the distinction between plugs and pellets and not just with Fuggle but with any hop. A plug is a compressed flower, a pellet is a mulched flower that is then compressed. They are the same hop flower, they're compressed the same, it's just that pellets are mulched first. Unless the mulching changes the flavour, I don't see any difference. My own view is that plugs vs pellets is irrelevant, it's more to do with how the hops have been handled and how fresh they are. I sometines think that insisting on plugs is a bit of HB snobbery :ph34r: .

Cheers
MAH

The best explanation I have seen relates to the effect of the 'mulching' on release & oxidation of the oils.
http://www.probrewer.com/resources/hops/products.php

"... Users of pellets should also be aware of some potential differences in brewing behaviour between leaf hops and pellets. In leaf hops the resin glands are whole and it takes time for the boiling process to extract the oils and resins from the glands. In powder pellets the glands are ruptured and the contents smeared over the particles with a greater surface area exposed to the wort. This is the reason for the higher level of isomerization and utilization of the alpha acids experienced with powder pellets. The same phenomenon may, however, be less favourable for essential oil utilization. The relatively slow-release of oils from whole glands of leaf hops allows time for oxidation of the major hydrocarbons such as humulene to humulene epoxides, etc. thought to be responsible for good hop aroma in beer. The ruptured glands in powder pellets may lose the vast majority of these hydrocarbons by volatilization before the oxidation products have a chance to form. It is possible to overcome this loss by later additions of pellets but this is wasteful of the alpha acids ..."

I love Fuggles. I think they are a great hop that works great in 50/50 combination with Golding, but also works well on it's own. I've never expereinced any of the off flavours that others have.

I also don't understand the distinction between plugs and pellets and not just with Fuggle but with any hop. A plug is a compressed flower, a pellet is a mulched flower that is then compressed. They are the same hop flower, they're compressed the same, it's just that pellets are mulched first. Unless the mulching changes the flavour, I don't see any difference. My own view is that plugs vs pellets is irrelevant, it's more to do with how the hops have been handled and how fresh they are. I sometines think that insisting on plugs is a bit of HB snobbery :ph34r: .

Cheers
MAH

Well said MAH

Pumpy

Bit of an old thread, I know.
I've got a fair bit of Fuggles that needs utilising. Anyone got any all-fuggle (or mostly-fuggle) recipes worth sharing?
cheers
Pete

There are heaps of English bitter recipes out there. You can use fuggles as the only hop in any of these. I really like it as a late hop, but for dry hopping prefer goldings.

MFS.

Here is my favourite dry stout recipe 100% fuggles but only the one addition.
I like Fuggles as a bittering and flavour hop especially in the darker ales.

Recipe: Dry Stout
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dry Stout (Irish)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (44.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 74.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) 70.71 %
1.00 kg Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC) 20.20 %
0.45 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) 9.09 %
65.00 gm Fuggles [5.00 %] (60 min) 34.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.95 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.91 L of water at 79.3 C 68.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.26 L of water at 90.0 C 75.6 C

I used to really dislike the vegetal aroma of fuggles until I tasted a really great commercial porter with a big fuggles aroma. Now I actually like it - for porters. You can't beat a good porter with a nice fuggle nose.

This is my recipe for what I call a Southern English Brown, but it's borderline Brown Porter-like. It would be a good base to build on/modify if you like. This is now one of my regular beers that I brew over & over.

42l finished wort volume (~ 10 gal)
HERMS efficiency 85%
OG 1.050
FG ~1.012ish
Wyeast 1318 London III (wonderfully fruity yeast)

4.52kg pale 2 row (57%)
1.73kg Munich malt (20%)
1.73kg caramel 60 (20%)
173g chocolate malt (2%)
86g brown malt (1%)

If you want an enhanced roasted character, up the brown malt to 3% and drop the caramel malt to 18%.

Infuse with 30l water, mash @ 155F (68C) for 60 min, then ramp to 167F (75C). Sparge with 35l water @ 167F.

I brew this with a single bittering addition for 90 minutes to hit 14 IBU. You can probably safely up the bitterness to 25 IBU and still have a nicely balanced beer. To showcase the fuggles, I'd suggest a 20 min addition of perhaps 45 - 60g per 20l of beer. Also dry hop for a week prior to bottling/kegging with about 30 - 45g per 20l of beer.

If you're ever in Western Canada, search for Tree Brewing's Spy Porter. This is the beer I mentioned earlier.

I have some Fuggle Rhizomes growing in the patch, but trouble is the dog pulled them out of the pots when they were young & they are now mixed with Goldings Rhizomes.

Is there any way to tell the difference between Goldings & Fuggles?

Latest posts

Back