Frozen ferment...rock solid!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I had two ferments going and my TempMate has played up and has ended in the fermenting freezer running...well as a freezer and I ended up with two rock solid ferments.

Anyone else out there experienced this and if so what was your method of getting it to finish ferment after this? I assume the yeast that are in the "ferment" will now be inactive/un-viable. I was thinking of building a starter and re-inoculating ?

Cheers, Pok

You could always do a "fast ferment test" prior to adding more yeast.

Pull off half a stubbie full, add 2 teaspoons of sugar to the stubbie, and put an empty balloon over the top of the stubbie.

Leave it in a very warm spot for a day or 2 (say, a window-sill). If the balloon expands, you have viable yeast, if not, yes, add more yeast. Preferably an active starter.

When I just froze the top of mine I was able to warm it up and it fremented out fine. Pretty lucky.

As it's rock solid I think a re- pitch once you get it warmed up to 18 deg again, would be your best bet.

How far into ferment? I'd be inclined to go the active starter - even if some yeast has survived, it may not be much and it may not be healthy.

Fast ferment test is a good idea. Only risk from an extra starter I can conceive is possible overpitching and I think that risk is slight to none, especially if you have been fermenting for a few days before this happened.

Not experienced it myself though sorry - but I think you are on the moneyt with your idea. Active, healthy starter.

Latest posts

Back