Frozen Beer Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beats_MC

Reaction score
I've had a pretty good run as far as mishaps go, but have had two different issues with frozen beer/wort recently.

1. Cold crashed an IPA in keg too cold - currently defrosting, will let it sit, transfer and then carbonate.
Fermentation was already finished so I don't think the beer should be badly affected - thoughts?

2. Accidentally left the temperature probe for my STC-1000 outside the fridge (whoops!), didn't notice for 2 days since the air temperature in the garage has been very close to 18 degrees. Fridge air temperature reading -5 degrees, outside of fermenter reading 10 degrees. I use a spunding valve which is reading 0, so fermentation likely never commenced. When the wort defrosts, should the yeast go back to business as usual - or will I need to re-pitch. wyeast 1056 for reference.

I've had a pretty good run as far as mishaps go, but have had two different issues with frozen beer/wort recently.

1. Cold crashed an IPA in keg too cold - currently defrosting, will let it sit, transfer and then carbonate.
Fermentation was already finished so I don't think the beer should be badly affected - thoughts?

2. Accidentally left the temperature probe for my STC-1000 outside the fridge (whoops!), didn't notice for 2 days since the air temperature in the garage has been very close to 18 degrees. Fridge air temperature reading -5 degrees, outside of fermenter reading 10 degrees. I use a spunding valve which is reading 0, so fermentation likely never commenced. When the wort defrosts, should the yeast go back to business as usual - or will I need to re-pitch. wyeast 1056 for reference.
I have froze beer before, didn't seem to do any damage. Is 2. another mishap?

I have froze beer before, didn't seem to do any damage. Is 2. another mishap?

2 is another mishap. Has been sitting at 18 degrees for 2 days now with the spunding valve showing no pressure building. Might need to re-pitch tomorrow. Do you think I should re-pitch a whole pack of yeast? Or just a portion to kick-start fermentation?

2 is another mishap. Has been sitting at 18 degrees for 2 days now with the spunding valve showing no pressure building. Might need to re-pitch tomorrow. Do you think I should re-pitch a whole pack of yeast? Or just a portion to kick-start fermentation?
Not sure, you could have a leak on your fermenting vessel, if not throw a pack of Fermentis US05 neutral, and no need to aerate just sprinkle. But try and make sure fermentation hasn't/isn't taking/took place.

Re-pitching a whole pack can't hurt, so don't bother messing around with half packs.

Re-frozen beer/wort. This guy froze a Helles that hadn't started yet, but it brewed out after thawing. Lager yeast though YMMV.

Results at 5min 30sec into this video.

Thanks for the input. Spunding valve was blocked with krausen, happily fermenting away.

Back