Froze A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Damn it... I froze a keg over the weekend :angry:

Can the beer be salvaged? If I thaw it out and re-carbonate will it be drinkable?

I'm not too concerned if I have to chuck it. I tried a glass before it frozen and it had a sort of paint taste to it :( . Hard to explain. Silky smooth mouth feel with a real tangy after taste, the sort of thing that makes you close one eye tilt your head to the side and grimace before you swallow it. Maybe it was just a little green. Any ideas what that could be?

Did the same thing myself over the weekend Wax. :blink:

Was painting the top collar on my serving fridge and accidentally turned the thermostat dial down. Being a converted chest freezer the bottom got fairly cold. I was pretty puzzled pulling the taps on a full keg and nothing comes out. :eek:

In short Wax I wouldn't worry too much. Let it thaw out and give it a couple of days. I'm picking you won't notice too much difference. Mine tasted pretty good the next day with no discernable defects.

Warren -

It'll be fine.
Most of us have been there, and done that.
Let it thaw out and you'll never know it was frozen.

Doc

I've frozen my kegs heaps of times. Just let them thaw out in the fridge.

I had a new experience with a frozen keg on the weekend though, i was down to the last litre of beer or so of a keg i had frozen. Suddenly i drew a pint and thought it tasted watery.
Poured the next one, and my porter was suddenly see-through.

Seems that during freezing the water got seperated and sat on top of the brew.

Let he who has not froze a keg , cast the first hop flower :blink:

Not many keggers have not done that more than once , as said before , it'll be OK

Batz :ph34r:

I experienced this horror today :blink:

One keg was frozen and the other wasn't.

The frozen keg had been gassing since last night and the other hadn't been gassed...obviously this had something to do with it... :ph34r:

Needless to say, the fridge temp has now been lowered :)

PZ.

I would love to cast the 2nd - but whilst on a trip overseas for 3 months, someone knocked the thermostat on my fridge & froze all 5 kegs solid...

I salvaged them, but have to be honest, a couple were pretty ordinary afterwards - guessing by other comments though, you'll be fine.. :chug:

OH no ! now i guess you will have to call that batch a hann ice lol :blink:

had a salvaged iced beer at GMK'S on Friday night called a brown ice hay it was darker than a brown ale but it was goooooood :p

you might be lucky

delboy :chug:

Never froze a keg [when I did keg] but froze a fermenter solid :( and half froze another, they both came back given time. :)

Left the offending keg out for a few hours last night...all is well :)

Unexpectedly, it is still holding carbonation :blink: I'm drinking it right now :chug:

PZ.

Back