From Ground To Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangaz

Reaction score
Hi all, just sitting back enjoying the first glass from the first keg I can truly call my own. :drinks:

P1010426.jpg

Its a fat yak clone made from barley I planted on my family farm and malted myself and cascade hops from my first year plant that I harvested the same day. I may have cheated a little, the spec malts were bought as well as a few grams of NZ Nelson Sauvin pellets but a %100 home grown American Pale Ale is on its way soon.

P1010425.jpg

P1010424.jpg

Nice work Can. That beer must taste good knowing all the hard work that went into it.

Wow, that is so awesome! Well done. :icon_cheers:

HC

Top stuff mate - I am so keen to do something like this as well.. Pretty confident in malting my own barley, so I just gotta get off my butt and do it!

Good work Can. It does make it taste better when you put in that little bit of extra work.
I did the same here and started growing my own hop plants but they got washed away in the floods but round 2 hops will be in when the time is right.
Is the recipe for the Fat Yak clone from the DB or is it your own? Love Fat Yak.

PS. I wouldn't say you cheated a little buying a couple of grains mate. You would have cheated if you made it from goo lol.

You da man, Can. Awesome stuff

So did you go out with an axe and fell a forest giant for firewood to boil the pot?

Nah just kidding, I'm really envious. Should go perfectly with the wallaby shot with the hand made bow..........

:icon_cheers:

Awesome work. What kind of barley did you plant - is it specifically for brewing?

Kudos indeed! How much land did you need to cover, or are you an agricultural grain grower anyway?

Either way, superb effort from go to whoa.

All those years spent on the family farm growing wheat and barley...feels wasted.

Well Done!

SS

Thanks all for the replies.
The barley is stirling which is a malting variety and the stuff that I took for brewing was of malt grade. Unfortunately it would be pretty hard to work out the area used to grow this much as this barley just came out of the back of the truck before it went off to the bins at harvest.

The recipe I used was as follows (I think it was a mixture of a few different recipes I found over the place)
19L
3kg Pale malt
0.5 Wheat malt
0.25kg light crystal/carahell
0.2kg crystal

mash
15min @55deg (protein rest seems to help efficiency with home malted grain)
1 hour @ 66deg

60min 5g Nelson Sauvin
20min 10g Nelson Sauvin, 10g Cascade
5min 10g Nelson Sauvin, 10g Cascade
approx 25 IBU
dry hop 5g Nelson Sauvin 7 days into ferment after racking
kegged after 14 days fermenting @20deg with US-05

I think I got pretty close to the original and everyone seemed to love it as theres none left now :icon_cheers:

19L
everyone seemed to love it as theres none left now :icon_cheers:

So your first glass was 3 am on the 21st and it's empty by today.
That was about 4.75 litres per day! It must have been well received. :p

Hey Can, Well done mate...

I picked up 10 kg of fresh malting barley from my BILaws farm in Lake Grace in January,
I think the poor bugger gace me his whole harvest, worst on record :(l...

was hoping to malt that in the next few weeks and do the same.
I have Cascade hops that I grew this summer, and Chinook for bittering.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back