Fridgemate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfarrell

Reaction score
Does the fridgmate sensor go into the wort? Or does it just control the air temp within the fridge.

Als what's the difference between the old fridgemate and the new fridge controller Mashmaster are selling?

hope you don't mind if i tack on a few other questions kieran, when using a fridgemate/mashmaster temp controller does the attached freezer still stay at freezer temps so you can still store hops? is it possible to detach the fridgemate/mashmaster TC and still have a normal working fridge? cheers

-Phill

Does the fridgmate sensor go into the wort? Or does it just control the air temp within the fridge.

Als what's the difference between the old fridgemate and the new fridge controller Mashmaster are selling?

The old fridgemate (which is the one I have) sensor is an air temp sensor. The new one has an immersible SS sensor. You need to make a suitable hole and coupling in your fermenter to take it.

hope you don't mind if i tack on a few other questions kieran, when using a fridgemate/mashmaster temp controller does the attached freezer still stay at freezer temps so you can still store hops? is it possible to detach the fridgemate/mashmaster TC and still have a normal working fridge? cheers

-Phill

The fridgemate turns on and off the mains, so no, your freezer will probably not maintain freezing temps. You (or more correctly, your qualified electrician friend) put the controller in-line into an extension lead and you plug the fridge into it, so it does not alter the fridge at all.

[/quote]

The old fridgemate (which is the one I have) sensor is an air temp sensor. The new one has an immersible SS sensor. You need to make a suitable hole and coupling in your fermenter to take it.
[/quote]

How do you rate it

i like it. once you get used to it its pretty much set and forget. there is heaps of info on the use of these just do another quick search and you will find many other peoples findings/opinions.

cheers

Until my 3 week old (2nd hand) fridge died (from natural causes :angry: ), it worked a treat! Truly set and forget stuff...

I just rest the probe on the top of the fermenter .

Put the cord though the door seal at the top , to minimize cool air dropping out

works like a dream

I just rest the probe on the top of the fermenter .

Put the cord though the door seal at the top , to minimize cool air dropping out

works like a dream

I run the probe into the fridge past the seal next to the hinge. Then i tape it to the side of the fermenter with some insulation over it so it piclks up wort temp not air temp.

I suppose this stops the controller turning the fridge on if you open the door briefly. But probably has no real advantage.

Search for "Fridgemate" and all your questions will be answered..

Just bought one from ross(craftbrewer) im sure its going to be the goods and cant wait for it to turn up.

How do you rate it

Works like a charm. Once I changed the temp from -18 to 18, that is :D

I have it running an old chest freezer. Fermented 3 brews with it so far, all have sat at 18 exactly for the entire fermentation. They're great.

The unit itself is damn fine. Really easy to set up and use.
Personally I'd love a narrower range for the upper and lower kick-in temps. +/- 1 degree makes it less than perfect for measuring core wort temp via thermowell.
I think the unit with the long stainless probe is +/- 0.5C which would work better for true measurement.
I've resorted to using it outside the fermenter taped to the outside and insulated.
I find less variation in core wort temp by carefully controlling ambient temp by +/- 1 degree. You've got to be a bit careful because an uninsulated probe can leave wort temp up to 3 degrees higher than fridge ambient after an extended hot spell. I'd expect a similar disparity during cold weather.
However... compared with the Jaycar units I've been happily using for most of my brewing life... no comparison.

I'm very happy.

I think the unit with the long stainless probe is +/- 0.5C which would work better for true measurement.
Voosher your right, that's exactly why I released a new model w ith a long stainless steel probe, (the DEI-105). I am however looking at selling these probes separately in the future.

I take your point the more control would be better but a number of microbreweries I have spoken to, dont have anymore than 1*C control over their fermentation. I just dont think a 1*C swing makes that much difference. Having your fridge cycle on and off less frequently also prolongs its life. I guess it is just a balancing act.

Where you have to be careful is around pitching and overshoot/undershoot. Lets say you larger is a little warm when you first put it in the fridge. For example: the wort is 16*C you want to ferment at 11*C. If your probe is immersed in your wort and you set the controller to 16*C it will stop when the probe reaches 11*C however if this is immersed in the middle of your fermenter the outer wort might be colder than 1*C hence you might end up overshooting your temp. I always give my fermenter a rock or two for the first few hours, a little more air and some mixing of temps cant hurt.

cheers
frank

Latest posts

Back