Fridgemate Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazz1975

Reaction score
Just bought a FridgeMate after reading alot of good reports in these forums.

My question is, how do you insert the probe into the fridge ?

Are people just closing the door over the probe cable, or are they using a hole/grommet combination ?

I just close the door over the cord.

Regards

Graeme

Hole with no grommet here.....

That said, the fridge is old and sh*tty and is turned off all winter... and am yet to see how she will run this summer...

:icon_cheers:

I close the door over the cable. The cable diameter is quite small and doesn't appear to be affecting the fridges seal.

Hole with grommet (too big but prevents chafing the cable) in my bar fridge for fermenting.
Just wired up and installed my second FM today in the new chesty. ATM its just got a snug hole drilled through the collar, I'll probably squeeze a little bit of silicon in there to plug it up.

EDIT: You can also make a small slit or V cut in the seal to run the cable through - might help the door close if the seal isn't the best.

I close the door over the cable. The cable diameter is quite small and doesn't appear to be affecting the fridges seal.

+1 Over the top of the door. Next, you'll be worrying about where to place the probe in the fridge. Trust me - Just blu-tac it to the fermenter. Half way up the wort. It's all you need. :D

Thankyou everyone, the help is much appreciated.

The fridge I will be using is quite old and the seals are pretty rigid.

I think I will make a slit in the seal on top of the door, and push the cord into the inner (more flexible part of the seal).

Looking forward to a new world of temperature controlled brewing.

Cheers.

The fridgemate for my chest freezer/serving fridge goes through a hole drilled in the collar, and the fridgemate for the fermentation bar fridge goes through a hole drill in the back with some bluetak around it to seal it. No rocket science at all!

Cheers.

Its awesome, I remember spending 8 months or so worrying constantly when I was brewing about the temp, stuffing around with electric blankets, wet towels etc to warm or cool. When I got my first FM running it was just set and forget and I think its one of the best tools you'll invest in.

Mate, welcome to temp controlled brewing. So easy. I have 2 fridgemates.
Fridgemate : "whatever, whenever, whatever the weather."
Now say that 5 time fast after 5 homebrews :p :p

Back