Fridge or freezer for fermentation vessel?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedoors

Reaction score
I purchased today a set of fridge / freezer. Both the same size, but I only need one and I'll sell off the other.
Therefore I'm trying to work out which fridge or freezer would be best for holding my fermenters?

And would they require different STC thermostats based on which I kept?

Freezer already has a nice base above the hump and no door hardware so cleaner lines etc. plus it could get colder, but I'm not sure about efficiency or life expectancy given its use only during fermentation

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412482057.500814.jpg

Same stc as long as it can switch a heat and cool output (depending where you live if you need it switch both I guess)
Whichever fits you fermentors best I would say, the freezer may ?? Have slightly better insulation but idk

can you remove all the shelves from the freezer for a big open space ?

then i would go freezer

Freezer SHOULD have better insulation. Even so it will be better for cold conditioning / crashing whatever.

You'll find that the freezer will have better insulation and will use less power as run time will be shorter due to a compressor designed to bring the freezer to lower temps than a fridge. Same stc will be okay for both.

Sounds like the freezer is the go then, thanks.
Are all STC-1000 equal? Prices vary greatly on eBay.

Fermentation chamber, buddy not vessel. Vessel is what the fermentation actually occurs in, i.e - plastic fermenter, ss fermenter etc.

BlueDoors said:
I'm no expert, but pretty sure they have 5amp and 10amp models. Maybe some that only heat as well. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm.

BlueDoors said:
Not all stc-1000 are born equal.

you want to look for the ones that have the 10amp rating and both a heating and cooling relay.

and make sure it is 220v not a 12v model

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-220V-STC-1000-All-Purpose-AU-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Sensor-/151377284156?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item233eca0c3c

edit. voltage info.

slcmorro said:
Fermentation chamber, buddy not vessel. Vessel is what the fermentation actually occurs in, i.e - plastic fermenter, ss fermenter etc.
Well understood, just bad grammar in the title if you bothered to read my actual post

Rob.P said:
Not all stc-1000 are born equal.

you want to look for the ones that have the 10amp rating and both a heating and cooling relay.
I had recalled reading something like that but couldn't remember it, and forum searches (or my per search terms entered) didn't provide the result.

Thanks for the info

BlueDoors said:
but I only need one and I'll sell off the other.
You know you secretly want BOTH so keep them BOTH.....deep down when you bought them BOTH you knew you needed them BOTH. Buy another fermenter for the other one and you're set.....you know you want to! They're twins...they should be together....do them a favour and put them to good use rather than storing 12 month old sausages and broccoli.

Edit....PS. Both will work fine for fermenting with the correct temp controller unit.

BlueDoors said:
Well understood, just bad grammar in the title if you bothered to read my actual post
Actually chief, I did read your post and the entire thread that ensued. Just thought I'd be friendly, and help you use the correct terminology.

Steve said:
You know you secretly want BOTH so keep them BOTH.....deep down when you bought them BOTH you knew you needed them BOTH. Buy another fermenter for the other one and you're set.....you know you want to! They're twins...they should be together....do them a favour and put them to good use rather than storing 12 month old sausages and broccoli.

Edit....PS. Both will work fine for fermenting with the correct temp controller unit.
I think I could fit two Ss Brewbuckets stacked in one, so having 4 total might just be a bit over overkill for me ;)

If anyone in Sydney wants to buy a fridge I have one cleaned and ready to be used for fermenting fridge or converted to a keg fridge.

Latest posts

Back