Fridge Mate Or Brew Mate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I will soon have a fermenting fridge but am now wondering which would be the way to go to do what I want.

Basically I want something to control the temp of a fridge to heat and cool.

Would a Fridge Mate suit my purpose or should I spend the extra few dollars for a Brew Mate?

What is the difference between these 2?

I know there are a lot of people here that have the Fridge Mate but I am yet to see anyone who has the Brew Mate which is why I am asking the question.

I will soon have a fermenting fridge but am now wondering which would be the way to go to do what I want.

Basically I want something to control the temp of a fridge to heat and cool.

Would a Fridge Mate suit my purpose or should I spend the extra few dollars for a Brew Mate?

What is the difference between these 2?

I know there are a lot of people here that have the Fridge Mate but I am yet to see anyone who has the Brew Mate which is why I am asking the question.

Fridge mate works really well for me without any problems......I dont know what I did without it. I wish Id got it sooner.

i have a tempmate on my fermenting fridge... never once have i used the heating function. But i live in QLD.

I see that the brewmate has both heating and cooling. Perhaps for you, living in Tas, you'll need both heating and cooling... so if it were me i'd go the brewmate. For the $10 difference it's worth the insurance

The Brew mate can control a heater and the fridge through the one unit and turn each on or off depending on whether the temp goes up or down... If you are in a climate where the night temp is drastically lower than the day temp then this would be the est option.

I just picked up a Brew Mate over the weekend and will be putting down my brew this weekend coming... Mind you I paid extra for one already all wired up with cords etc.... I would kill myself if I tried to wire something up!

Cortez is on the money. I've had one of those running for the past year and a bit with no worries.

I'd say the Brewmate and the STC-1000 (ebay) are exactly the same unit. They would come out of the same factory in China.

I use one for my mash temps but paid about $28 for mine. Take advantage of the dollar & get one.

Cheers, Mat.

Edit: Actually they are the same. Just looked at the instructions for the Brewmate - STC-1000 on the top. Get the one from ebay...

Yeah i can vouch for the STC 1000 of ebay...i paid $26 a month back, i see you can get them even cheaper now!
Might but another just for the hell of it!
Very easy to wire up, but if you have no idea get a sparky to do it of course.
Theres instructions and a simple diagram around here somewhere

I can only find a STC - 100 on Ebay and assume you both mean this? I don't think there is an STC 1000 but if there is can you please provide a link as I am having no luck. Also does this do heating as well? I'm in Tassie so am anticipating I will want heating as well considering sometimes temps here can fluctuate quite dramatically at times.

I am leaning toward the $16.75 job from Hong Kong at the moment. Even if it is no good, for that sort of price it maybe worth taking the plunge.

The one I posted the link to is the STC-1000 it can do both heating and cooling i.e. it will have two female sockets to plug into one for cooling and one for heating

I've only wired up mine for cooling

I also have a fridgemate and much prefer the STC-1000

Cheers

The one I posted the link to is the STC-1000 it can do both heating and cooling i.e. it will have two female sockets to plug into one for cooling and one for heating

I've only wired up mine for cooling

I also have a fridgemate and much prefer the STC-1000

Cheers

lol... I just sent you a PM but you have answered most of what I asked, thanks.
Yep looks like I will order this one then.

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

Yes... I am gonna buy a couple of the $16 jobbies at that cost... I have a MM fridgemate I paid $47 for a year and a half ago. Only complaint is it doesn't do both heat and cool... I've wired it up through switches to be able to control both, but it required extra work that wouldn't be necessary with these little ones...

Yes indeed, excellent ebay-ness!!

Nev

I just went to ebay to find it again and couldn't find it :eek:

I just ordered another 2 - I think it's time to replace my adlo controller and if I ever get organised I'll put one through a thermowell into my HLT to controll the immersion heater

Cheers

What type of probes come with the STC 1000? Are they similar to the Tempmate, or the MM with the stainless probe?

Cheers

Looks like this

21_stc1000.jpg

Cheers

What type of probes come with the STC 1000? Are they similar to the Tempmate, or the MM with the stainless probe?

Cheers

The one you'll get with the unit is as shown in the pic ie. plastic cable with 1" sensor on the end. When I bought my STC-1000 I also bought the long ss NTC sensor that MM sells and it works a treat. You cannot connect these to a FridgeMate though.

Cheers, Hoges.

I have ordered one of these and have a temperature calibrator, will check the accuracy :)

if they work ok they seem like damn good value :)

cheers...

Back