fridge help please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benf

Reaction score
Hi, I have just acquired an old fridge which appears tp have a thermostat problem in that the compressor is running non-stop and over the course of a couple of days it has frozen my 3 kegs which I put in it. It is a fridge on-top and freezer on bottom.

I don't want to use this as a fermenting fridge, just as a keg fridge and want to use the freezer part as additional freezer storage.

Can someone confirm that it is likely a thermostat issue? If so I am thinking there might be two solutions to control. First would be to get the thermostat replaced, but I am a bit wary of the cost. The other possible solution could be to plug in a fridgemate controller, which I did last night.

I set the Fridgemate to 7 degrees and it appears to be controlling the fridge OK and from what I have seen, the stuff in the freezer is remaining frozen. What are the potential issues with this solution? Upside is that I can control better the dispensing temperature of my beer and to buy another Fridgemate (given I use this one for my fermenting fridge) is relatively cheap compared to the likely cost of getting the Thermostat replaced. What is the downside? Is there a better solution?

I have attached photos of inside of fridge and thermostat if this helps. It is a Simpson CB380 which I am guessing is about 10 years old.

Any help and thoughts much appreciated. Cheers

. fridge1.JPGfridge2.JPGfridge3.JPG

if the fridgemate is running it fine and it doesnt freeze your kegs and keeps the freezer compartment in a state you want it, job done.

tip it on its side, and if the coils are on the bottom you may just need to give them a dusting with a bannister brush. It worked for my westinghouse.

Just be sure if you do this, give the fridge 1/2hr before you plug it back in.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Definitely looks like replacing the thermostat is well within my means but I think that I may stick with my Fridgemate as it appears to be doing a good job over the weekend. I have been thinking of upgrading the Fridgemate to an STC-1000 anyway to give me auto heating and cooling control on my fermenting fridge.

What do you guys use for heating in your fermentation fridges. I have a heatpad which I could either place under or beside the fermenter. Is this a good option (particularly as I already have one) or are there better options?

Thanks for your help.

I think a heat-pad beside, not under the fermenter is a fairly common way to do it.
I've only had my ferm freezer for a couple months and therefore have not used it through the winter yet.
Remains to be seen whether I will require heating, it may stay just warm enough on its own.

Latest posts

Back