Friday Rant And Flame Fest - What Is Australia's National Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mate was on deployment in Afghanistan or somewhere, and the Yanks pulled some logistical strings and got him and the other Aussies a surprise:

"Don't know what you fellas drink, but thought this was a safe bet..."

Low and behold, whole bar full of Fosters. After a few beers and a bit of a chat, it came out that most Aussies drink VB or Four-Ex. Couple nights later, whole bar full of VB and Four-Ex.

:wacko:

So, looks like people think we drink Fosters...not that anyone ever does. Hell, you couldn't find it if you wanted to half the time I reckon. Makes you wonder...

Cheers - boingk

So, looks like people think we drink Fosters...not that anyone ever does. Hell, you couldn't find it if you wanted to half the time I reckon. Makes you wonder...

They just put the fosters into a fancy bottle and call it crown :p

I wrote most of the Wikipedia page on Fosters, long before I joined the forum, as I had perspective on Fosters from an OZ and pom point of view. In the 70s Fosters imported was actually a very nice drop compared to the appalling pom lagers of the era:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foster%27s_Lager

NO noooooow

Carling Black Label ( Carling O'keefe ) was a Canadian Import now Brewed under Licence not British at all.
British beers are all regional the closest to a national would have to be Whitbread Trophy or in the old days before Campaign for real ale Watneys Red Barrel or Double Diamond.

The Brits in the Seventies all flocked to Spain for their hols to drink draught Watneys Red Barrel. :rolleyes: before Lager Louts.
I would agree about Whitbread Trophy. The national brand at the time was the disgusting Whitbread Tankard, but the Trophy brand was just a name applied to a beer brewed individually by all the Whitbread subsidiaries around the UK but served out of identical taps and promoted by national advertising. In the NE of England where I lived at the time, our Trophy was brewed at the Castle Eden Whitbread brewery (now an independant real ale brewery) and it was a very very nice 1042 og session bitter, which is saying a lot for a Whitbread product. Dad said that before the takeover it used to be Nimmo's brewery which produced a good drop so maybe they just kept on brewing Nimmos and called it Trophy.

TV ad jingle: "Whitbread Trophy, Trophy Bitter.... the pint that thinks it's a quart" Now there's a few hundred brain cells that have been tied up totally unnecessarily for the last thirty years. Bastards.

Latest posts

Back