Fresh Yeast For Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sm0902

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Dark Strong Ale I am due to bottle soon. As part of this process I want to use a different yeast for bottle conditioning. I'm going to use Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager taken from a Pilsner it is about to finish fermenting.

I've chosen the 2124 so I can store the bottles in my fermenting fridge and keep the temperature at about 10 while they condition over the next few months.

The numbers

18 litres
OG 1073
FG 1014
1762 Abbey Ale Yeast was used for primary fermentation

Questions

Any ideas on what amount of the 2124 yeast I should use?
Do I simply put the yeast into the bottom of a bottling bucket (fermenter) and then run the Belgian Dark Strong Ale into this fermenter?

Thanks all ...

Not sure on strength of yeast vs yeast, however the original yeast will still be in solution in the beer.

Adding new yeast at the end after primary fermentation will mean your new yeast wont have any sugars to eat to grow and reproduce, so to have any effect I would imagine you would need to pitch a large amount of yeast, by way of a large starter possibly.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers.

To add ... I will be cold conditioning the Belgian Dark Strong Ale over four days to drop as much yeast as possible out of suspension.

The 2124 yeast I will be using is no different to collecting the yeast at the end of primary fermentation and then re-pitching (the correct amount) onto another brew - except I will be using it to prime my bottles. (My liquid yeasts basically do anywhere from 6 to 10 brews from the one smack-pack). I'm not sure that "krausening" is what I am after.

I would expect that at 10 the 1762 (left after cold-conditioning) would be relatively dormant compared to the 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast??

Even after cold conditioning there will be enough yeast in your beer to carbonate your bottles. If you were lagering for a few weeks then I would pitch fresh yeast, but if you are only going to chill for a few days to drop the yeast out you will be fine.

Kabooby :)

I have heard in the past that Belgian Strong Darks really tire out the yeast so it is important to pitch new yeast to carbonate.

Just what I've been told.

Back