Fresh Wort Sales In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a freezer (thanks nickg) but unfortunately he gave me an AG beer (coffee stout) that was ,magnificent, so I thought whilst I am just starting out I might as well brew a fresh wort with my kits to see what I like (I feel I might be looking for an urn :) ). So where is melbourne (preferably s/e burbs) would you recommend to buy a wort ?

thanks
Matt

Grain and Grape is the only retailer doing fresh wort kits in melb, afaik.
wortkit_frontpage.jpg

reVox

There are other retailers like CellarPlus that also stock them (possibly cheaper), but you want a fresh wort kit that hasn't been sitting in the store for ages, and isn't displayed near sunny windows (as those ones tend to be :rolleyes: ). At least at G&G they're stacked near the counter away from direct sunlight so you know there's no skunk factor.

Grain and Grape turns over heaps of these so you know they're fresh (pardon the pun) - and is where two of my buddies always go for theirs. Unfortuntately you just missed a deal they had about a month ago - They had $10 off them with a voucher that came in The Age Epicure. Co-incincided with a big article they had about Homebrewing. The things sold like hotcakes. My mate bought 4.

Hopper.

I didn't realise FWKs would suffer from light strike. I thought that skunking issues only occured post fermentation.

cheers

grant

For the ND BREWING Fresh Wort from St Peters Brewery you can also try these stores.

The Brewers Den www.thebrewersden.com.au
253 Dorset Road, Boronia VIC 3155

Telephone: 03 9761 1900

Magick Brew www.magick-brew.com.au
205A Batview Road, McCrae

Telephone: 03 5981 1160

Narre Home Brew
4/6 Rebound Circuit, Narre Warren

Telephone: 03 9796 6973

I didn't realise FWKs would suffer from light strike. I thought that skunking issues only occured post fermentation.

cheers

grant

Yeah, these bad boys were practically in the window itself with direct hot sun on them. When you look at the cubes I wouldn't think they would block light 100% as you can see what's in them as Revox's photo shows. Any food product exposed to light, and particularly heat, would leave it open to spoilage IMHO.

Dunno of many no-chillers that would leave their cube of all-grain on a hot window sill, even if they had popped some preservative in it.

Hopper.

got a red from
The Brewers Den www.thebrewersden.com.au
253 Dorset Road, Boronia VIC 3155

it's fermenting at the moment, also got a stout kit and extract (I think thats what you refer to it as, it's 3kg and some hops that I must boil up), they seemed quite nice (my wife went to pick it up for me) so I think I will head back there.

I am going to go to G+G tomorrow for a BIAB demo, so who know's might try that sooner than latter :)

thanks all
Matt

I've tried two G&G FWKs and I reckon their great. They are fresh and have bittering hops. When you are strapped for time, as I often am, you can just throw it in the fermenter and forget about it. I tried one without putting my own aroma hops in and you could really taste the difference that a good late hop makes. I currently have a third FWK in the fermenter (type 2) with some amarillo dry hopped after about 5 days. They're still a lot cheaper than buying commercial beer, but obviously not as cheap as HB. $45 for 17L of fresh wort with a pack of safale of your choice. If you want you can add 6L of water for an OG of 1.045 which helps you get the most out of your dollar and you also have a cube for no chilling :icon_cheers: . Nothing beats drinking your own beer of course, but I am finding the odd FWK here and there can help with time constraints and you get to compare it to your own. Just my 2c.

Bowie

Keen to hear recommendations for suppliers for fresh wort kits in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne, any thoughts folks?

#2 for Greensborough Homebrewing 9432 0283. Dave turns over a lot of these so always fresh.

No affiliation etc.

Back