Fresh Wort Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveHQ

Reaction score
i'm seriously considering buying a fresh wort kit (or 2) from 1 of the site sponsors above^^^^^

i'm keen on the porter kit, and the amber ale

are they any good?, worth the $$$?

how do they work, how long do they last (do they have to used straight away?)

before you say ask to seller, i'd like to hear from someone who's used 1

thanks dave

I've done a couple, they both turned out pretty good. Worth the $ if all you've done is K&K, but if you've progressed to full extract then you may not see much benefit.

The ones I've used are just tip the lot into the fermenter, top up with another 5L of cold water, pitch your favourite yeast and you're done.

I don't know about used by dates, I've only used them straight away.

Check your LHBS for them, shipping on 15L can't be cheap.

Seems to me like fast food. Its always better when you make it yourself! Sure it takes longer, but thats why this is a hobby. :D

Seems to me like fast food. Its always better when you make it yourself! Sure it takes longer, but thats why this is a hobby. :D

More like the perfect gateway drug to all grain IMO. Its no more work than filling a fermenter from the tap with a can of goo (which 99% of kit brewers do anyway). why not cut that part out and replace it with the best wort available to you?!!?! A FWK is miles ahead of any kit or extract.

In other news, rumours around are that Dave @ Greensy homebrewing is beginning to produce his own FWK. Tailored to his and his customers palates! :beerbang: Im sure if im in a pinch i'd be happy to take a cube of his delicious wort knowing what his beers are typically like. :icon_drool2:

Yep, associated as im a loyal customer! :icon_cheers:

Fourstar, i ment more like its more fun! More fun then pouring and adding water! haha
Btw, I'm pretty close to Dave's too and just getting into AG so ill be heading in and getting my first few batches of ingredients!

Fourstar, i ment more like its more fun! More fun then pouring and adding water! haha
Btw, I'm pretty close to Dave's too and just getting into AG so ill be heading in and getting my first few batches of ingredients!

Niiiice. With FWK you can do abit of 'tricking up' with them. e.g. if you buy something like a blonde kit you can do a small mash/boil of crystal malts and specialties like munich etc. lauter and do a little hop boil of US hops and you have youself a decent APA or AAA. ;)

The fresh wort kits are great option if ya need abrew quickly and a good step up to all grain worth about the same as doing a extract but wiyhout that kit taste. I have tried one of daves red ale wort kits a very tasty drop!

Hey Kegpig, did you keep the cube it was in? Im also in eltham and need a cube to no-chill in for a brew im doing soon.
If your not using it lemme know. Just PM me ill be on here a fair bit haha.

Scary part with that link, Manticle, is who originally posted it, and how (relatively) recently it was posted :eek:

remember, he was the fastest posting member until bum showed up. oh chappo, he's disappeared into the abyss. (que a Bum appearance in this thread).

Hey Kegpig, did you keep the cube it was in? Im also in eltham and need a cube to no-chill in for a brew im doing soon.

I think dave was contemplating a swap and go system with the cubes, although that was somthing that was being thrown around as an idea several months ago. it sounds like a viable option for him if you can excuse the pain of cleaning the cubes! :D i know, i just spent 2 1/2 hours kegging a beer, cleaning a filter, cubes and sanitising kegs + fermenters for another two cubed beers to get the slurry of my kegged beer. :icon_cheers:

btw, the beer is tasting great!

55% BB Ale
20% wheat
10% Aldi honey
10% Munich
5% Cararye

30 IBU Magnum @ 60 min
1272 american ale II

FWK that suckers!

:beerbang:

haha, fourstar, where do u BB Ale? i though dave didn't get this one :p Loyal customer?!

Cubes can be had for $15 from the shed. Don't forget to grab a tap or several while yr there as well at $2 each.

haha, fourstar, where do u BB Ale? i though dave didn't get this one :p Loyal customer?!

took advantage of a 32$ sack as it seemed like a good thing to try. :p When you are in a pinch, broke and can get grain on the cheap, you take what you can. The more i use it the less i like it actually. i prefer JW ale to be honest and regulary buy my specialties(5-6KG at a time) and hops in bulk from him (which is where he would make more of his money anyway).

To be honest, with BB Ale i get more of a grain husk/mild melanoiden flavour than the 'doughy' maltiness that you get with JW. JW seems to be more of my kind of malt at this stage after knocing over close to a sack of BB Ale.

For somone just getting into AG brewing, you sure know what dave stocks! :p

remember, he was the fastest posting member until bum showed up. oh chappo, he's disappeared into the abyss. (que a Bum appearance in this thread).

I'll have you check your figures. He's been registered longer, AWOL for ages and still has 20%ish lead on me in posts per day.

He truly is a beacon to us all.

I'll have you check your figures. He's been registered longer, AWOL for ages and still has 20%ish lead on me in posts per day.

He truly is a beacon to us all.

He was right about the imminent bum post in this thread though.

Bloody Nostradamus, he is.

Just on this fresh wort stuff.

That is all I have done since getting back into brewing.
I used to do the can stuff in bottles with miserable results.
Now it's all kegs.

I am very keen to give the all grain stuff a go ...but am just building up to it.
As it is I am already blurring the boundries between pub/brewery and garage.
The missus is fairly unstoked about me cruising around with only one empty schooner glass as proof of how many I have had.

Anyway , the Fresh Worts come out pretty good I reckon.Real good, actually.
The brewers selection seem to be a bit ballsier in terms of flavour and alc% compared to ezy brew.
I haven't tried the quick brew ones...they are the cheapest I can find at about $25.
The ezy and quick brews are 4.5 Ltr worts and you add 18 ltrs water. The BS is the 15 ltr wort with the 5ltr of water added.

I did the BS Amarillo Ale and it is very good . Pretty strong flavour but I like that...and after one you seem to lose that first beer hit a bit.

I am doing a BS czech Pilsner at the moment. I took a hydro reading and had a little taste and it seems very good .

I don't have heaps of spare time with two little kids so the worts are great for me.

I would be very keen to try ways of tweaking them with differnt hops or whatever though.
I did a low carb one which was a bit mellow...any tips?

More like the perfect gateway drug to all grain IMO. Its no more work than filling a fermenter from the tap with a can of goo (which 99% of kit brewers do anyway). why not cut that part out and replace it with the best wort available to you?!!?! A FWK is miles ahead of any kit or extract.

:icon_cheers:

Oh so true!!!!! The gateway part that is. Didn't take long to go from FWK's to extract to AG. (Even though I said I would never do it!) :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back