Fresh Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FazerPete

Reaction score
From what I've read, there are a few AHB members that are growing their own hops and I'm thinking about trying to start at some stage. I'm curious as to how you use the plant in your brewing because I've only ever used the pellets so I have a few questions.

1. I understand that it is the flower that is used so what is the general season length of when they flower?
2. How many plants would you need to supply enough hops to get through the year (say 25-30 brews)?
3. How do you use the flowers? Do you need to do something to them?
4. Is the weight ratio roughly the same between flowers and pellets? When a recipe calls for 30g of hops, does it mean 30g of flowers or pellets?
5. Is there any taste difference between flowers and pellets?

Sorry if any of this has been asked before but I've never seen it and I couldn't find it.

Edit: Sorry I just realised I posted this in the wrong section. Mods - please feel free to move it.

Ummm could be wrong on some of this...

1) flowers around april/may
2) i think you would need a fair few, all at least in there second season. 1st season see little and mostly no hop flowers produced.
3) Just dry them then use them like plugs, maybe use a hopback?
4) pellets will be heavier as they are compressed. There will be a difference in weight and also possibly in AA% which you will need to adjust for.
5) flowers are generally better for dry hopping and late hop additions in the boil as they have their lupin (?) glands which contain the aromatic oils intact. Pellets have been pulvarised and compressed squashing the glands.

Thanks for the clear answer mate. I think I'll have to try it. <_<

Found this on the net somewhere awhile back when I was asking the same q's. Its Canadian (from memory) but its pretty interesting. Heaps of info with loads of detail.

View attachment Hop_Growing.pdf

Yeah, This is somthing Id really like to have a go at down the track. Can anyone tell me if they would grow in the South East of Queensland or would it bee too hot for them here?

You can grow hops in SE Queensland. At least Screwtop did. There's a heap of info to be found in the (long) thread on hop growing last season. Linky thing.

I think you'd need a lot of hops to brew 25+ times a year, but once they get going they seem pretty hardy.

Found this on the net somewhere awhile back when I was asking the same q's. Its Canadian (from memory) but its pretty interesting. Heaps of info with loads of detail.
Excellent reading in there that seems to answer all my questions. Thanks heaps! :beer:

Fazer
I was actually in your part of the world about 18 months ago, and went to red hill brewery where they grow their own hops. I would probably roll down the hill and talk to the brewer there, he will give you a better idea of how to grow hops in your region, and how many plants will give you what kind of yield. And maybe even what kinda alpha acids %age.
All the best
Trent

Latest posts

Back