Frequently Asked Questions For The New Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, n00bie here.
Did try some brewing 20-25 years ago, but too young, poor and impatient to have much success. Hopefully this time I can get it right. Starting to regret getting rid of my old 'fridge, but a replacement shouldn't be too expensive.

Couple of questions.
From what I've read here an old 'fridge with one of the Ebay temp regs is best, but I'd be looking at setting up in the garage, and it gets b. cold out there this time of year (I'm in Tassie) so I think at this stage heating will be more of an issue than cooling, and from what I've read a constant temperature is half the battle won. The heater belts - I take it they aren't thermostaticaly controlled. Also heard that an aquarium heater can be used. This seems a good way to go, as they have a built in thermostat. Bit of extra cleaning / sterilising though. What are your thoughts on this? If I stick with brewing I'd def. get an old fridge by the time the weather warns up.

Question 2: "Beginner mixes". Any suggestions on brands / recipes that are more idiot proof than others? I prefer ales, esp. english style, belgium tripels, IPA's and abbyists styles. Are the kits for these suitable for beginners? This one: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT has caught my eye. Am I being unrealistic though, if so, can you suggest a good, simple, tasty place to begin?

Thanks in advance. Great forum here, lots to learn, I think I'll be spending a fair bit of time here in the future.

Hi Spork,

Welcome to the circus, we're all a bit beer mad in here... :beerbang:

As Kelby G mentioned, you can get temp controllers that will regulate both heating and cooling in one little package. I'm not too sure how to set them up as I've not got one myself, but have looked at a few that offer both functions and it would seem the way to go if you're going to invest in one (as I am close to doing myself).

With the beer kit you're looking at, I cant say I'm familar with it...but based on its contents (cut and paste from site: 'Recipe also includes incl 2.5kg malt, honey, crushed black grain, Goldings & Hallertau hops') you are going to need a fairly good sized stock pot in order to steep the grains and boil the hops (a big household cooking pot may just do the job for the time being).

I would hazard a guess that you will need to steep the grains in hot (not boiling) water for x amount of time, rinse the grains with more hot water, then bring that whole lot to the boil to then start adding hops at pre-set times. After that, you'll probably want to cool it all down and add it to your fermentor with the rest of the ingredients, top up to 19L/21L/23L (?) and pitch yeast.

Its not out of reach for a beginner, but certainly not level 1 either, and it may take some time for a 1st go. If you plan ahead and take your time, you should be fine. I'd give it a go and see what you think. If its a pain in the arse, then dont bother again, if its a breeze, then your sweet!

Personally, I would take a look in the recipeDB on this forum http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...utocom=recipedb

On the right, under 'Method' select 'Kit & Kilo' or 'Extract' and have a browse to see what takes your fancy. Once you've an idea what sort of recipes you might like to make, head down to your local Home Brew store and see how much it costs to put it all together. I reckon you'll find it'll be as cheap if not less that what that ebay item is...

Good luck and let us know how you get on :icon_cheers:

The STC-1000 controllers you can find on eBay that a lot of people are using can control both heating and cooling options at the same time. A fridge with it's great insulation is just as good for storing your FV's in whether you're heating or cooling. Personally I use a light bulb plugged into a fridgemate in my fridge for heating, an immersible heater just sounds like another possible infection point.

The brewcraft kits are probably pretty easy for a beginner, but the quality of their ingredients, especially hops, might be questionable. Inputting the same ingredients into grain and grape it works out to be about the same price ($48 without the honey), but if you can buy in bulk from a decent HBS it's a lot cheaper.

edit: forgot to plug this as a beginners recipe http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=502, this one is pretty popular as well http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=867. There is massive threads dedicated to both those recipes that will be able to help you out.

Wow. There is so much more to home brewing than I imagined. Think I better do some more reading / research before starting my first brew. It seems I've found the right place to do that. :)
Sounds like the kit I linked might be a big ask for a beginner, might go with something simpler, and 1/3 the price, from my local brewing supply shop. The recipes linked above look like they might be a more realistic first attempt. One day though...

Another question, re: water. I'd imagine that "good" water is crucuial for great beer? I'm in Launceston (Blackstone Heights for those that know the town) and sometimes our water has a bit of a taste to it. What are my options? Will brewing remove / cover any odd tastes in the water? Boiling it? Perhaps invest in a water filter? Buy bottled water (I have NEVER paid good $$$ for water...) or just go for a drive to a catchment area and "harvest" some "wild water"?

you could boil it I tried this with a few brews but to boil and cool 23lts of water is a pain. is the taste chlorine or like a metal taste? I find the water here tastes a bit metallic but find it good to brew with I dont think you will have a problem but if you think it may be one down the track them boil 23lts and try that.

For the moment stick with the stuff that comes out of the tap. Its cleaned up courtesy of your local council and any problems (high chlorine/chloroamine) will not be a big deal in your first 20 brews. When you have everything else under control and feeling brave do a search for 'water chemistry'/'water thread'.

The STC-1000 controllers you can find on eBay that a lot of people are using can control both heating and cooling options at the same time. A fridge with it's great insulation is just as good for storing your FV's in whether you're heating or cooling. Personally I use a light bulb plugged into a fridgemate in my fridge for heating, an immersible heater just sounds like another possible infection point.

The brewcraft kits are probably pretty easy for a beginner, but the quality of their ingredients, especially hops, might be questionable. Inputting the same ingredients into grain and grape it works out to be about the same price ($48 without the honey), but if you can buy in bulk from a decent HBS it's a lot cheaper.

edit: forgot to plug this as a beginners recipe http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=502, this one is pretty popular as well http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=867. There is massive threads dedicated to both those recipes that will be able to help you out.

+1 for Centenarillo Ale by Neill (the second link). Had a couple last night that have been in the bottle for 1 month and they are tasting fantastic. My mistake was under carbing them...(1st time bulk priming)

The boss has given her blessing, I'm allowed to have a brew cabinet! I told her about the ebay thermostats to run a 'fridge or freezer at 18-20c (I like ales) and how it wouldn't cost much to run because you're not trying to chill it to 4c. She said I can use our chest freezer, and buy an upright freezer for our food.
It's a start. If I can fit 2 fermenters and 2 batches in, I'd be satisfied. :) Even 1 fermenter and 2 batches might almost do. Can always supplement the home brew with some decent commercial stuff. Generally don't like Boags, but do like their Wizard Smith English style Ale.

The boss has given her blessing, I'm allowed to have a brew cabinet! I told her about the ebay thermostats to run a 'fridge or freezer at 18-20c (I like ales) and how it wouldn't cost much to run because you're not trying to chill it to 4c. She said I can use our chest freezer, and buy an upright freezer for our food.

Sounds like a top "mrs spork" there mate.

Mine's pretty good too actually, nowadays she just walks past me on the computer and says sarcastically:

"beer buddies?"

to which i sheepily reply:

"uh,,,,,, yep"

good luck with your brews mate and welcome to the obsession

nath

OK, just ordered the STX 1000 temperature controller.
Need to get a freezer for Mrs Spork, or a cheap 2nd hand fridge / freezer for my fermenter.
Starting from scratch. Thinking this kit http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT + some PET bottles and of course the actual ingredients are about all I need to get started?
What else would you suggest I should get before I begin? I want my first attempt to go smoothly, so I want enough gear to make it fairly simple, without spending $ hundreds. I'm thinking a "bottling wand" and maybe a bottle washer, although I prob. won't need the washer until my 2nd brew. What other items would you lot not be without?

A bottle tree is handy if you're sticking with bottling. Some starsan, and a 3ml syringe or pipette would be great, and it lasts years.

The filler tube is a bottling wand btw

Looks good, just ordinary PET 1.25L bottles are perfect for storing beer but keep them in the dark to avoid skunking the beer. Also those stick on thermometers are a bit dodgy, maybe invest in a digital probe thermometer for around $15, or a "dial" thermometer from a kitchen shop.

A bottle tree is handy if you're sticking with bottling. Some starsan, and a 3ml syringe or pipette would be great, and it lasts years.

The filler tube is a bottling wand btw

Blushes...

Starsan - from homebrew shop?

Syringe/s -easy, I'm a nurse. :)

Had planned on a decent thermometer also, forgot to add it to my list of stuff above. :)

BribieG - I'm hesitant to use placcy beer bottles - let alone soft drink ones. I think after a few brews if I haven't had any bottle bombs I'll prob. go to glass - unless I go to kegs. instead...

FYI I got mine on Wednesday after ordering it on the 22 march!!!!

Won't hold my breath then...

!st attempt might have to be in cupboard with the hot water service...

If your LHBS doesn't have starsan, the site sponsors stock it.

If your LHBS doesn't have starsan, the site sponsors stock it.

Thanks. Already ordered 500ml of Starsan, some measuring spoons and a box for the temp controller, from Craft Brewer. :)

quick one...

When you guys check you SG and FG do you guys remove the airlock? i am bit worried about infections.... I am some time lax on cleaning and sterilizing.

Also is good ol dishwashing liquid okay? i usually have really hot water - i burnt my left hand when i was three on a potbelly stove.... and had it cuaght between a jack handle and a car and almost cut my pointing finger off while doing some model making work......

Also if you can get the techni ice packs. they are great! i have 2 in the esky now chilling the beer and i have 4 in the freezer on the moment for rotation.

A pack of 10 can be had for $40 and there reusable....

Back