Freezing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wqijno

Reaction score
I'm a regular reader of these forums but this is my first post. I couldn't seem to find an answer after doing a search but I was wondering if anyone knows how long hops will stay reasonably good for after freezing. I'm not concerned about the drop in alpha acids or anything, just any effects it might have on flavour etc. My girlfriend's family is Polish so I'm wanting to order some Lublin hops from ebay to make a Polish style lager like Zywiec etc. The only size I can find is 450g bags from 'hopsnstuff' but I'd only be using about 50g in a batch. I'd love to use them again but it might be a while in between batches.

Just try and keep them as air tight and dry as possible and they'll be fine. A vacuum sealer is the best option but anything that keeps the freezer air away from the hops is good.

if you have a vacuum sealer years and years. I put mine in 2 zip backs and check them so often and they seem to let air in after a bit sometimes. Id say prob a year storing them like this. Smell them if they smell fresh they are fresh if they loose there aroma prob chuck them.

I have some hops from the 2006 great hop buy, YES 5 YEARS OLD, ask anyone who has tasted them; they rock. Their AA% has dropped but shit they taste excellent. They have been vac sealed and frozen for the entire time. I prefer my 2006 Nugget over my 2009 Nugget.

QldKev

edit:
I should add: that you should use smaller vac bags and break them up into smaller usable sizes. So they don't get opened and then resealed all the time.
Even the 2006 stock still has a reasonable AA% so they don't end up that bad.
Get them vac sealed and frozen as soon as they arrive and never let them unfreeze unless you are going to use them.
Vac sealed is the way, zip lock bags still breath they are no good.

Latest posts

Back