Freezin Goo Tins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djt

Reaction score
G'day guys

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to freeze / fridge to store cans of goo for any length of time?

Big w has a sale starting tomorrow with cans @$7.98 ea & $9.98 for their 'international' stuff. Might be a silly question, but if you don't ask, you don't find out.

Cheers
darrtoo

Good price..go get some...look at dates on the bottom..you shouldnt have to freeze if there got 12 months date..C/blonde my fav

I would imagine that freezing them would cause it to explode (expanding of the goop in a fully sealed container).

They are fine in a regular temp. env.

Just check the use-by dates :)

g'day all

Went to Big W at Forest Hill this arvo and stocked up on the tins. All tins on the shelves have 9/2012 use by date & $7.98 and $9.98 for the inter' stuff

Thanks for the heads up wanted to try a few toucans so will grab some gooooo!

I wish they sold malts and sugars at big W. The prices of malt at my local HBS are ridunculous!

I wish they sold malts and sugars at big W. The prices of malt at my local HBS are ridunculous!
My local health-food shop back up in Newcastle sold bulk liquid malt - dark and light, incredibly cheap $$, just had to byo bottle. I haven't found one here in Melb yet who stock it, but worth a look around Tanga. But as DU99 said Big W sell coops brew ext 1 & 2 etc plus other bits & pieces that are generally a bit cheaper than the hbs.

Cool! That's awesome! Anyone know when the sale ends? My brother is coming to visit in a week and needs to stock up on extract, etc. So do I at those prices =).

My local health-food shop back up in Newcastle sold bulk liquid malt - dark and light, incredibly cheap $$, just had to byo bottle. I haven't found one here in Melb yet who stock it, but worth a look around Tanga. But as DU99 said Big W sell coops brew ext 1 & 2 etc plus other bits & pieces that are generally a bit cheaper than the hbs.

Hey darrtoo,

Whereabouts in Newy and what is/was the name of the shop, please mate? I'd be keen to test them out in a few brews...

Cheers,

Teee

Hey darrtoo,

Whereabouts in Newy and what is/was the name of the shop, please mate? I'd be keen to test them out in a few brews...

Cheers,

Teee
Gday teees'

It was Des's health foods at Pender Place in Maitland. It's easier to say Newy, than maitland cause not every one knows where maitland is!! He had heaps of bulk stuff like Dextrose, malto-dex, malts, and pretty cheap too. I've been here for 2 years now, (in Melb) so not sure if he still has it all, but the malt turned out great in brews. Just BYO bottle. Mite be worth given him a call, and depends on how far you are from Maitland.

Hey Tanga, sale ends next Wed the 17th. I put down 2 today, so might have to go back, but the minister for finance isn't too happy with me for stockin up so much. Aahhh well!!

Hi All,
consider this - buy some nice extract kits like muntons or morgans, Coopers brew master series or even the LHBS' own brand. Coopers make great kits, but on their own, they're just sorta plain. Nice, but plain. You are saving so much on 2 cases of beer, even paying $30 for a proper kit with the sugar and extra hops is great value. And trust me, the results are absolute magic.
Try it! using those ingredients you'll wonder how you survived without home brew at all.

Thanks dragulia. That's exactly what I've been doing since I started hb, you buy the quality stuff and get reasonable good results, butIve been doing this now for 10 years or so, and after a while you know what works with what, how things work, what to add, what not to etc etc. Not that I'm an expert or any where near it. I'm quite happy mucking around and getting the results I get.

When you see coopers goo on sale for these prices, you use them as your base, you use the knowledge you have gained and add a few things, like hops you have in the fridge, yeasts you have farmed in the fridge, grains you have in the fridge etc to add that little something, and you get fairly pleasing results.

Added to that, the minister for everything remains happy that your not forkin out $40 a week for a slab, and your out of her hair and in the shed doin what we do. Basically livin the life :icon_cheers:

darrtoo

Cool! That's awesome! Anyone know when the sale ends? My brother is coming to visit in a week and needs to stock up on extract, etc. So do I at those prices =).

i reakon the sale will finish on wednesday this week, but my local was pretty depleted yesterday good luck.

:beerbang: im loving this, my work just started stocking country brewer range....my first brew was a boags st george adaption...love the taste..turned out very well......trying a kilkenny recipe with a choc twist at the moment....future plans may include a lager with a coriander infusion for those summer afternoons! :rolleyes:

You are the gonna become the 'prince of homebrew' if you keep coming up with those ideas!! Still liking your St george mate.

Gday teees'

It was Des's health foods at Pender Place in Maitland. It's easier to say Newy, than maitland cause not every one knows where maitland is!! He had heaps of bulk stuff like Dextrose, malto-dex, malts, and pretty cheap too. I've been here for 2 years now, (in Melb) so not sure if he still has it all, but the malt turned out great in brews. Just BYO bottle. Mite be worth given him a call, and depends on how far you are from Maitland.

Hey Tanga, sale ends next Wed the 17th. I put down 2 today, so might have to go back, but the minister for finance isn't too happy with me for stockin up so much. Aahhh well!!

Cheers for that Darrtoo, I'll have a look on the net first and maybe drop in on my way home. I work out that way so no big dramas there. I took everyones advice and found myself walking out of Big W with an english bitter, euor lager and a canadian tin as well. Got the raised eyebrow when inspected by the missus..."BUT IT'S ON SPECIAL!!!" :D

My local health-food shop back up in Newcastle sold bulk liquid malt - dark and light, incredibly cheap $$, just had to byo bottle.

Just keep in mind that malt extract not sold as a brewing base wont have been made to our requirements, and who know what sort of grains they used, if they have dealt with break material etc. The health food shop stuff should be tried with caution before buying in bulk just to save a dollar or two.

Latest posts

Back