Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very close to what i think would be good keneasy.
however the fridge/freezer top would be plain bar top(wood) with the beer towers/or the type doc posted coming out the side of the collar and into the next part of the bar top.this way the serving is done similar to a pub but to one side of the fridge that is looking like a bar top.
also if the collar was high enough and with the beer lines long to suit your beer font you could come straight out the top of your collar.beer towers and enough lines to lift the lid to get into the freezer/fridge. :blink:
think i make scence. :huh:

Yes, the key point I was getting out was mounting a Font (not just a tap) onto the collar.
Would look a lot more spectacular too.

Beers,
Doc

Hi all, I have just bought myself a 400lt chest freezer and will be building my bar around it. I will take pics as I go and post them here.

Has anyone found a suitable temperature controller as yet??

I have looked high and low and with no results. This is the only thing hold me back at present.

Cheers,
Booga.

Build it. www.tobins.com.au have a selection of capillary thermostats in a range to suit your needs and can send you one out. Buy a jiffy box from jaycar, an extension lead and a couple of connectors and your pretty much done. Shouldn't cost anymore than about $50. The thermostats are about $38 I think.

Credit goes to Linz on this one. Esentially your building a grow warm controller, check the "gro-warm" thread.

JD

thanks Justin........i'm on to it. muchly appreciated!!

search for SOSMAN as he listed the thermo he uses as do alot of us. This one you dial up the temp and it holds it perfectly $40 i think we paid. perfect!!!

I use that one it works a treat, I also have another one that I talked about earlier in this topic.

Justin said:
Build it. www.tobins.com.au have a selection of capillary thermostats in a range to suit your needs and can send you one out. Buy a jiffy box from jaycar, an extension lead and a couple of connectors and your pretty much done. Shouldn't cost anymore than about $50. The thermostats are about $38 I think.

Credit goes to Linz on this one. Esentially your building a grow warm controller, check the "gro-warm" thread.

JD
Justin, I don't suppose you have a part number. I sent them an email and have had no responce.

I'm after a cooling thermostat........one that turns on when the temp is too hot and off when temp is too cold.

Yep, either the TS-040S (0-40oC) or the TS-050S (0-50oC) will do you fine. These thermostats have both heating and cooling abilities so if you want to make up a warming fermentation cabinet for the winter you can do that too. Just set up a switch to flick between using the normally open and normally closed options, there are three tabs. If you have a multimeter you can work out which one is which. If you don't know what your doing find a sparky friend or someone who plays with electrics to help.

Cheers, Justin

Give them a call.

Thanks Justin, you are a champion........I owe you one mate.

Booga.

In case anyone is interested I thought I would let you know where I have ended up.

I went with Justins great advise and went through Tobins at www.tobins.com.au but decided (after talking to one of the sales guys "VINCE" and conversations with a couple of the sparkies here at work) to do it the right way although it is considerably more expensive.

Below are the part numbers, part description and price as at this posts date.

RDE32/S6EN
temperature controller 240V - $143.00ea

DSAG1212HC
125x125x100 plastic enclosure - $30.25ea

JQX-116F-2/240A-L1HS
30A 3hp 240V heavy duty relay - $16.40ea

As I said it is more expensive and is in kit form that "should" be put together by a qualified electrician but the benifits are a no bulls**t temp controller that will control cooling or heating from -40c to +130c and very acurately.

Maybe I have gone a bit over the top but I am a firm believer that if you do it right the first time you will only have to do it once........the first time.

Here is a picture of the unit for you visual stimulation haha.

Cheers,
Booga.

RDE32.jpg

$40
-20 to +30 degrees
Dial up the temperature you want.

thermostat.jpg

yeh I have seen those pictures previously in other posts, problem for me is I didn't want to put a screwdriver to my freezer. Your point is well taken and if I had a old 2nd hand freezer that cost me next to nothing then yep I would do the same.

I was simply offering the members of this forum another option if they wanted a professional approach. The unit I posted above plugs into the wall and your freezer plugs into the unit and you then run the thermostat into the freezer through your collar. Absolutely no mods to the freezer itself (apart from the collar of course).

I paid over $1000 for my freezer and didn't want to modify it, I thought there may be others out there in my boat.

Booga.

well done booga,
we like lots of different ideas
looks great

bit xxy , but great

i must admit, i didn't want to screw my fuji koki into the wall of my fridge either!! mine currently just lays on a shelf under the light (which is handy). When i get the chance (when i've finished my current CCing) i will silicon it to the wall of the fridge.

i love my fridge!! :) it brings me such joy

lagering.jpg

I think I have finally found a large freezer , I already have a fridge with fan controller fitted , but may fit one of these fuji koki thingys to this one

Back