Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, did you simply replace the original thermostat with the one you ordered from Grain and Grape?
BTW, I am envious.

TDA

Doc

Nicely done...

Are you able to post costs on the freezer and the thermostat setup...

Thanks

I am using the GroWarm ?? thermostat that the Grain and Grape sell.
Got it in their 20% off sale. Just plug the thermostat into the power, the freezer into the thermostat, mount the temp sensor bulb in the freezer and select your temp.
I hooked the temp bulb sensor through the back of the thermometer you can see on the inside of the freezer lid, so it then sits in the middle of the freezer (temp sensor bulb not shown in picture).

So, the freezer cost me $450 which in Sydney for a good condition 1100 litre freezer is excellent. Found it in the trading post.
The thermostat was $83.50 shipped to Sydney. TCB sell them for about $120 from memory.
Got a work/brewer mate to help me pick it up, cost a couple of beers after the job :D

Now that I have more temp controlled space I can go for more kegs and fermenters :p :p
Where will it end ?????

Beers,
Doc

very nice pickup doc.
well done.
im looking for something similar (maybe not as big, dont think it will fit downstairs)

cheers
crackers

man,
thats a whole lot of fridge there Doc.
I too am jealous :D

cheers

That's the go Doc , just what I want !
Hard to come by one of that size up here

Doc, dont listen to them, your frig isn't too big............. your shed is just too small :lol:

Wedge

The beast of a chest freezer is going fantastic in conjunction with the thermostat.
I have the two weekends brews fermenting away beautifully at a nice controlled 19 deg C.

I also have another brew sitting in secondary ready to keg.

However I almost afixiated myself last night when I went to check on how things were going. I put my head into the freezer cavity so I could see the temp gauges on the fermenters and when I breathed in it was like POW.

Of course the entire freezer was pretty much full of CO2.

Something to be careful of guys if any of you use a chest freezer as a fermentation unit.

Still breathing just,
Doc

Hey Doc,

At least you shouldn't have any oxygenation problems :D :lol: :lol: :chug:

Shawn.

Well thanks to my loving family I picked up a temperature controller for the freezer yesterday and as it was brew day today felt compelled to put it to good use straight away.

Knocked up a simple collar out of 120x30 pin screwed together and then butchered some joist straps I had lying about to keep it in place when plonked on top of the frrezer (these are the metal things you can see).

All up cost me about $40 for the gear and I put it together during the sparge and boil of todays brew. Could use a bit of paint and some silicon to make sure it is nice and sealed but thats a job for another day.

Freezer01.JPG

Another shot with todays brew chilling the final few degrees before pitching (hopefully a tasty LCPA using chinook & centenial for bittering).

Anyone have any good ideas as to the best spot to put the temp probe, as you can see its just hanging about :)

Hmm next will be low temp brews!!

Freezer02.JPG

Tape the probe to the centre of the back panel.....

That should give you the best control.

Thanks GMK will give that a shot. Looks like its working a treat so far.

Well I've done it I've taken the leap forward and got my self a chest freezer 360 Litre room for six kegs and other stuff. I did the hunt around today trying to find a replacement thermostat for the freezer, I thought I would go the thermostat replacement route vs. the plug in type. I first went to a little appliance place in box hill to talk to him an was told that replacing the thermostat with a fridge thermostat should work in theory, but he didn't have one in stock so he sent me of to his supplier Actrol Parts, They were not a great help they told me that it may work but it will probably blow up the freezer "and it may or may not" I don't know this for sure but they where reluctant to sell me anything.... So I went to a place in Wantirna south called Stokes Appliance Parts they were a great help. They did look at me kind of strange when I walked in saying I want to turn a freezer into a fridge but when I told him it was for beer he got interested.
So he ended up selling me a fridge thermostat that is used by service guys as a temporary replacement for ones that kick the bucket but it can also be used permanently. It does have to be wired in but any one with a tiny bit of know how can do it. the price was only $49 better than $ 100.
I can give you the info if anyone would like to know or even some pics if you would like to have a look.

wish me luck that it last longer than the first guy said.

Very Interested to hear how you go...

Good Luck

Any of this sort of info is really useful bigfella , after all that's what this site is about.
Please post pics and comments on how it's going

And bigfella , I am looking for a freezer now , how many fermenters could you get in your 360lt job?

Sorry Guys I haven't forgotten you all but I've been a bit busy my wife goes into hospital tomorrow to have our second baby. So I will try to post some pictures of my freezer and the thermostat when my life gets back to normal.

To answer Batz ? I can fit 6 20 litter kegs in it so I don't know how many fermenters

Well I'll catch you guys when I'm aloud to get back on the web.

best of luck with the second one bigfella.im sure you will be tied up for a little while. :D

Back