Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome, never seen a font like that doc, looks great

Finally got the entire unit completely finished over the weekend.
A six way CO2 manifold (complete with check valves from Morebeer.com) is now installed and working a treat.
Thanks to Roach and the AHB bulk order of inline compensator valves, mine are now all installed and also working a treat. Used the John Guest fittings instead of just jamming the tube into the JG cavity. I have the pressure set to 80kpa to all kegs and pouring perfect beers through each line.

Will post photos in the gallery when the missus comes out of hospital with the dig camera.

Doc

Brilliant job Doc :)

I just looked through the gallery and its pretty damn impressive!

Sounds great doc, i have seen your set up in the gallery it is most impresive. I look forward to more pics in the gallery. Have you thought of a name for the bundle of joy yet? Is it beer related??? Lol

Scotty

Thanks Scotty.
The little bundle of joy has been named Abbey.

Beers,
Doc

Top notch job Doc! How much coin did you spend on wood :eek: . So when I get my chest freezer you wont mind whipping one of those collars up for me will you mate??? :D

I honestly don't remember Wax.
I have forgotten on purpose so if I ever get interrogated on it in the future I can honestly say I don't recall :huh:
It was cheap. From my lack of memory it was more that the freezer itself. It was expensive because the timber is all treated, dressed and laminated together and sold as individual sheets from Bunnings.
The internal collar was quite cheap. The mitre joints were a bitch, because the mitre box I used wasn't 45 deg when it said it was.
I now have a circular saw that would make it easier.
I've got the camera on me today so will take some pics of the internal plumbing tonight and post in the gallery.

Doc

New pictures are up here in the gallery showing the gas manifold and beer line flow restrictors.

Beers,
Doc

KegFreezerConversion_073.jpg

Have you got any photos of the decked out freezer? Finnished product?

Here is the beast.
Only just managed to get it out of the nursing home I bought it from. Damn skinny door ways (although I think I may have broken a bone in my hand).
Fits rather snugly into the shed. But it is function over comfort right ? :D

Doc

Well almost 5 years to the day that it entered my brewery, it has cycled its last refrigerant. It died overnight :p
Not sure how old it was before I got it (prob ~7 years), and I'm happy with the 5 years of service it has given me.

Now on the lookout for a new massive chest freezer.

Doc

Seems to be the week for it...mine died on the weekend too

youre not wrong there linz and Doc,

my serving fridge has kicked the bucket on sunday to

Franko

Well almost 5 years to the day that it entered my brewery, it has cycled its last refrigerant. It died overnight :p
Not sure how old it was before I got it (prob ~7 years), and I'm happy with the 5 years of service it has given me.

Now on the lookout for a new massive chest freezer.

Doc
Doc, I had a second hand freezer ($150) that ran for about 7 years and then died. I bit the bullet and got a new one, cost me $700, but I guess that it will run for many years.

Yep, mine shat itself a few weeks ago also.

Currently in the process of converting a shiny new 250 litre jobbie as we speak (chest freezer). Thought I might as well shell out for a brand newie. Should give me many years of service. :)

Warren -

I lost one about this time a couple of years back too.

Makes you wonder if the start of the hot weather after winter knocks 'em over.

Its the thought of all that summer drinking Rob.

Do you think our fridges are trying to tell us something? B)

Warren -

Jeepers, must be the time of year.
Don't know where I'm going to be able to score another 1100 litre one though.
The real bitch is having to empty the shed to be able to get the dead one out, and having to dispose of it.
Lets not even mention expendature on the brewery just before Xmas :(

Doc

Looks like Doc's having a Alcohol Free christmas. :eek:

60 minutes was right after all, see, all our fridges will go down now :p

Alcohol free xmas my arse.
The serving fridge and two other keg fridges are fine.
I'm going to fit my lager temp unit from the conical to a standard fermenter to allow me to do ales until I get a new freezer.
Also putting frozen containers in the dead freezer to keep the temp down.

Doc

Latest posts

Back