Freezer Collar, Height Limit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonj

Premier Ipswich Mash Proponent (PIMP)
Reaction score
I'm about to put a collar on my Centrex 200L chest freezer, and I'm wondering if there's a limit as to how high the collar can be.

If I use an 18cm collar, I reckon I could fit two more kegs on the compressor hump.

Is 18cm too much? What is optimum? What have others used?

I'm real keen to get my 30th birthday present (3 shirron taps, etc) mounted on the collar.

I'm about to put a collar on my Centrex 200L chest freezer, and I'm wondering if there's a limit as to how high the collar can be.

If I use an 18cm collar, I reckon I could fit two more kegs on the compressor hump.

Is 18cm too much? What is optimum? What have others used?

I'm real keen to get my 30th birthday present (3 shirron taps, etc) mounted on the collar.

No practical height limit IMO as i reckon you'll still be working the freezer well under its capacity. just make sure you have a fan fitted to recirculate the air.

Cheers Ross

Yeah, I was going to put a fan in there. Maybe I'll rig up a nifty microswitch like I saw someone do, so the fan turns off when the lid is open.

Sounds like the ~18cm collar is the way to go. That'll give me some room for future expansion.

Is hardwood the go here? Or can I use pine and seal it really well?

It's more about the weight of the door, and how you fix it, and if the collar will take that strain (if the wood is much taller than it is wide).
..I am building my collar today, that's why I am in this headspace!

Bonj, do you have the plastic seal that runs around the top of the freezer and covers the cooling foam (that the lid sits onto)?
Mine is not the full width of the freezer (ie the freezer wall is 6cm wide and the plastic strip is 3cm wide), which causes the collar to not sit flush.
If so how have you got around this?

G'day Maxt,

My freezer is brand new. I'm looking at doing something similar to Pokolbinguy in his thread (same freezer, I want a taller collar): http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=14321

The freezer wall is 7cm, the plastic is 5cm, plus a 1cm deep 2cm wide recess on the inside of the wall (if you understand what I'm struggling to coherently describe).

Bonj and Maxt,

if you have a look at the thread with my collar in it you'll notice that I used a rubber seal to seal the collar. Works really well and allows you to removed the collar with out any damage to the freezer itself (great if it still under warranty).

A taller collar should not make any problems. Actually it would be a great idea as you will get more kegs in there. only downfall is the the timber will be more $$.

If you guys want to know anything about how I built the collar feel free to ask.

Cheers, Pok

Thanks for the info pokolbinguy. I am planning to go the rubber seal route. I picked up some timber today that is 19cm, which is pretty close to my 18, and the best part is that SWMBO payed for it so I can get my taps working quicker. I only have 4 kegs so far, and 3 taps. But I like the idea of being able to have 1 keg and a spare for each tap. We'll just see whether I can keep the stocks up. Don't know how much I'll drink having my new all-grain brewery and 3 taps to choose from. Life is good at the moment.

Make sure you post pics when your done Bonj.

Will do. Had to do some fence building this arvo, so no progress yet.

What did you do for a drip tray?

I have a SS driptray that I bought of Frogman that I just sit on the floor.

Pok

Hi All,

Bit of work in progress......but 300l Centrex design....

I will dimension up and do a Bill of Materials when I get a chance to finish (start).

Cheers
JSB

View attachment 300lcentrex.pdf

Bonj

I converted my chest freezer with a 20cm collar and it works great. Just do what Ross said and use a fan. After I installed my fan, my freezer ran for about 5 hours before the temp controller stopped it. After that it worked as normal.

Last weekend it was used at a party for the first time and everybody loved getting their beers on tap.

For those looking at chest freezers it makes it a bit more economical as you can go for a smaller freezer, I fit 4 kegs in my freezer and it only cost me around $230.

Prima 150L freezer:$200
Timber, Pine 20cmx5cmx2.6m:$15
Paint, Rubber & Sealant:$15
PC Fan & Power adaptor: free, already had them.

Thirsty :beerbang:

Okay, so it's finished.

here are a couple of photos. I can't remember whose I saw use the microswitch idea first, so thanks to whoever that was. I butchered an old Canon printer for the PSU and the socket on the back... sorry no photo of that.

The fan switches off when the lid is opened.

I can finally fit the car back in the garage too :huh:

bonj_img_2466_640.jpg

bonj_img_2465_640.jpg

Beautiful work Bonj :super:

cheers Ross

Looks fantastic. I'm glad I have made this conversion for my freezer its great.... and I'm sure you will find the same.

Enjoy,

Pok

Thanks guys. I didn't show the full freezer because my daughter has put relocatable fairy stickers all over it. :ph34r: I'm planning on making up some labels with those magnetic sheets, so people know what's on tap.

I'm already finding it great! I've only got 2 beers on tap at the moment (plus a backup keg for one tap). It'll be even greater when I have a third beer on tap! :super:

I don't get out to the pub very often anymore, and now I have one at home... with better beer than the pub anyway!

Hey pokolbinguy,

not sure which thread you asked this in, so I'll post in here... photos of collar construction (finally):
bonj_freezer_img_2471_640.jpg

bonj_freezer_img_2472_640.jpg

Latest posts

Back