Freezer As Ferm Vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthead

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a chance to buy the below for $50, and although it is a freezer I wanted to see if it could be used for fermentation with an STC-1000? Would be a perfect size to get 2 fermenters in.

__KGrHqJHJCME63_5C_Q_BO0f3J_lF___60_12.jpg

__KGrHqZHJD_E7Bcviy1uBO0f6Z_ICQ__60_12.jpg

Appreciate anyones comments on this.

Cheers,
Mut

My freezer works great as a ferm-fridge. Controller means it doesnt really matter that it would like to get to -20 - it's not going to happen. Freezers have a lot more insulation as well, so it's probably cheaper to run than a fridge.

Sweet, thanks Pyro.

I think I'll go ahead and do the deal unless anyone has a compelling reason why I shouldn't!!

Cheers,

freezers are better ferm chambers than fridges. They typically have greater insulation (which means the motor runs less often), can go to lower temps than fridges and because it is not split into freezer fridge allows you grater usable space.

Can't quite tell by the photos but assume you can remove the shelves? Some freezers have the coils integral to the shelves and therefore cannot be removed.

edit: Anyway i have 2 upright freezers and can ferment 8 20L bathes at a time love em

looks like cooling in the shelves in that one ?

better to look for one without cooling in the shelves that is just a big open space

Looking at that pic, several of the shelves have integrated cooling lines running through them. So you won't be able to move them to fit a fermenter. I think you would be better off looking for a fridge.

Thanks all, I'll ask the question about the shelves.

I use a upright freezer as a ferment fridge, it has shelves with intergrated cooling in them. I've readjusted the shelves by bending them to fit 2 fermenters it. I've also used it for kegs to where I have bent shelves all th way back to the wall and cable tied it i place. Then rebent them back into place again for fermenter, mind you I would expect it to last long if I was going to do it all the time. out side of that I've found they work great. the main point I'd be looking at is the flexablity of the shelves and whether your fermenters will fit even if you have to bend the first and 3rd shelves back to the wall.

Back