Free Gas ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mash head

Reaction score
I know this is probably a stupid idea but has any one ever thought about trying to capture the co2 relaesed by our freinds the yeastys during primary fermentation. It would be a fair bit of gas. Dont get me wrong I am no tree hugger woried about emmisiions (I own a V8) just wondered if I was the only one who had thought of it. Could be recycled back into keg. I reckon it could be done but I dont keg so probably dont care. Food for thought or may be riddicule.
Dont laugh too hard Greg :lol:

Yep, it was brought up a month or two back. Was discussed somewhat and I assume it was dismissed due to sheer impracticality.

yeah its been discussed here before. Have you ever brewed a lager? Smell the co2 coming from it and tell me if you still want to capture it to carb up your keg with :p

To do it well you would need some kind of gas filtration/purification setup - probably not worth it.

But then again.. What about those tastey burps given off by an IPA or something... It can be the new version of keg hopping lol, hop charged co2.

Some breweries do this exact thing, capture the CO2 from fermentation and then filter it and use it for carbonation. Last time I did the Cascade Tour they mentioned they get 90% of their CO2 this way. Quite a saving I'd imagine!

Cheers

Good to know I am not too loony hahahaha?
Cheers Greg

LOL, well you are loony, but it's just not practical on a homebrew scale!!

Cheers

Actually it can be practical on a homebrew scale but the conditions are left to be desired, ie there is a safety tradeoff. if i can get around this i'll do it and post.

I can see an application in real ale, as practised by the guys at Wollongong. UK style real ale is conditioned in the cask but during serving, air gets into the cask and unless the ale is consumed within about a week it gradually gets oxygenated, and sours.

In the UK many pubs have a device called a 'cask breather' that keeps a CO2 blanket over the beer in the cask so it doesn't spoil

So you fill a big bag like a garbage bag with the good gas and then when serving, you seal the bag on top of the cask/keg and as you serve the beer the headspace gets filled not with air but with CO2.

Yup would work

I know this is probably a stupid idea but has any one ever thought about trying to capture the co2 relaesed by our freinds the yeastys during primary fermentation. It would be a fair bit of gas. Dont get me wrong I am no tree hugger woried about emmisiions (I own a V8) just wondered if I was the only one who had thought of it. Could be recycled back into keg. I reckon it could be done but I dont keg so probably dont care. Food for thought or may be riddicule.
Dont laugh too hard Greg :lol:

Anyone with a conical capable of holding pressure can basically do this - Just cap your fermentation pressure at the desired level using a spunding valve (pressure release valve) & your beer will carb perfectly with no extra CO2 added. I've been building up my stock of 23L kegs & intend to transfer my brews to them when approx 70% done & carbonate in this manner. Not exactly recycling back into the keg, as not letting it get away in the first place. Doesn't do anything with the excess either, but it's a start :)

Cheers Ross

Anyone with a conical capable of holding pressure can basically do this - Just cap your fermentation pressure at the desired level using a spunding valve (pressure release valve) & your beer will carb perfectly with no extra CO2 added. I've been building up my stock of 23L kegs & intend to transfer my brews to them when approx 70% done & carbonate in this manner. Not exactly recycling back into the keg, as not letting it get away in the first place. Doesn't do anything with the excess either, but it's a start :)

Cheers Ross

Will you filter first Ross?
Interested in the results

Batz

Will you filter first Ross?
Interested in the results

Batz

Depends on the beer Batz - For your favourite wheaties, no - But for most beers I'll filter under pressure in a closed loop, so as to get a beautiful bright beer with perfect carbonation & without the use of any post kettle finings.

cheers Ross

Depends on the beer Batz - For your favourite wheaties, no - But for most beers I'll filter under pressure in a closed loop, so as to get a beautiful bright beer with perfect carbonation & without the use of any post kettle finings.

cheers Ross

I'm going to talk to you about this Saturday ;)

Batz

Here is a link to a guy explaining how to capture the CO2 from primary fermentation in a balloon before force carbonating the beer in 5 liter mini-kegs with it.

Looks like an interesting way to force-carbonate without having a tank!

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/carbonation/
force carbing with collected CO2:

force_carb.JPG

It looks like great fun to try, but guessing I will stay with bottle carbonating for now :)

Bjorn

Back