• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Free Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
G'day folks,

So here's the deal..... yes the fridge is free.... however she does not work as well as she used to. I am unsure what is wrong, could be a simple fix if you have the know how... or the connections that do. I figure there would be someone out there wanting to use it.

Note the freezer has Brand new seals for both freezer (fitted) and fridge (not fitted) doors and it is a Kelvinator No frost 480 - N480FM. These seals alone are worth around $75... maybe if you just want the seals it would be worth it..... but you have to take the whole unit.

In her former glory.. as my keg fridge.... so yes it has two holes in the door for taps.

fridge.jpg

Now... I have used her as a fermenting cupboard since I moved to my chest freezer.... heaps of space.

front.jpg

inside.jpg

Located in Pokolbin.

5-10 mins from Cessnock
30 mins from Maitland / Singleton
50 mins from Newcastle
50 mins from central coast

Cheers, Pok

Bump..... surely someone has a use for this..... remember FREE :p

Just letting you all know she is going on Ebay in the hope that someone will want her. If anyone on AHB decides she wants her during the auction let me know she will be yours for nix (i will cancel the auction)... unless there is a bid... and the the AHB price goes to one largie of your finest :p

Cheers Pok B)

That's exactly the same as my first keg fridge. And i paid $250 as i recall... was an awesome beast, but the compressor seized and left me with warm beer, so she had to go to the dump..... But if this fridge is not tripping the ELB then it's a simple fix generally.

if this fridge is not tripping the ELB then it's a simple fix generally.

What is the ELB Fixa? Is this something I could diagnose myself by having a bit of a fiddle? and when you mean easy fix.... need a fridgie or just replace a small part???

She' doesnt get very cold anymore in the fridge how ever it frezzes up in the freezer... I can't remember exactly as its been awhile since I used it

Cheers, Pok

What is the ELB Fixa? Is this something I could diagnose myself by having a bit of a fiddle? and when you mean easy fix.... need a fridgie or just replace a small part???

She' doesnt get very cold anymore in the fridge how ever it frezzes up in the freezer... I can't remember exactly as its been awhile since I used it

Cheers, Pok

If my latest beer fridge gets below 2c the airways from the freezer to the fridge block up with ice, freezer is fine however the fridge and kegs slowly get up to 10c, I pulled the inside of the freezer lining out and used a hairdryer to melt the ice, fridge works fine now and sits on 3-4 c.

I think this may be a common thing that happens to many outside beerfridges and I wonder how many have been thrown out when all you have to do is get a screwdriver and a hairdryer and have a good tinker, outside beerfridges are exposed to more atmospheric moisture than inside fridges.

PS, dont fall for the trap of having just one beer while youre out there to fix the fridge, there is no such thing as "just one beer"" :rolleyes:.
Cheers Steve, hope this helps ;)

Hey Pok, there are generally only 3 things that can go wrong with a fridge.

1. Thermostat - if the compressor runs then the thermostat is either OK or jammed on (in which case the fridge would ice up).

2. Compressor - if the compressor doesn't run it could be a faulty thermostat (relatively cheap fix) or a faulty compressor (expensive fix). If you are a bit handy you can try bypassing the thermostat and see if you can get the compressor to run by itself.

3. Gas - if the compressor runs but the fridge doesn't get cold then you are probably low on gas. This is usually an expensive fix - most fridges these days aren't built with a recharge valve, so the fridgie will need to install one into the line before he can regas it. That's $100 or more, plus you've still got the problem of how the gas escaped in the first place.

There is another thing that can go wrong with some fridges, and that is that some of them have a fan to blow cold air from the freezer into the fridge. If the fan motor dies then the freezer will ice up perfectly (even on a low thermostat setting) but the fridge won't get cold. This is a fairly cheap fix, especially if you can diagnose it and source a replacement motor yourself.

If it is buggered it won't be worth much unfortunately. People can't seem to give away good ones these days.

Here in Melbourne there is a charity called The Phoenix Fridge Project that collects old fridges, trains people to refit them to make them energy efficient, and sells them to low income families. A more noble destination for a buggered fridge I can't imagine, maybe see if there's anything in your area that does the same.

Pok..

Earth Leakage Breaker. or sometimes called reverse surrent sensing relay, safety switch etc.... if the power stays on in your house, then it hasn't tripped.

I was just looking at this fridge and was going to ebay message you. I'll ask here instead. Is it large enough to fit a 60ltr fermenter in it? What ever the double size fermenter is you pick up for from home brew stores?

My current fridge is on the fritz, and only holds the smaller size fermenter (30 ltr or what ever it is)

I was just looking at this fridge and was going to ebay message you. I'll ask here instead. Is it large enough to fit a 60ltr fermenter in it? What ever the double size fermenter is you pick up for from home brew stores?

My current fridge is on the fritz, and only holds the smaller size fermenter (30 ltr or what ever it is)

Im sure you would get one in there... it fits 4 cornies.... what is the height of the fermenter and I'll measure it.

Cheers, Pok

I'll measure it up and let ya know tonight - internet was playing up last night at home so I couldn't post until now.

It is (in mm) 700 high and 1300 in diameter. But that doesn't include a tap, so including a tap it needs to be around 400 wide.

It is (in mm) 700 high and 1300 in diameter. But that doesn't include a tap, so including a tap it needs to be around 400 wide.

Should fit. I assume you meant 300 diameter + tap = 400mm and 700 high.... should fit snug. She is pretty big.

Pok

Sorry for the late reply - my neighbour ended up giving me a chest freezer they no longer need.

Sorry for the late reply - my neighbour ended up giving me a chest freezer they no longer need.

Thats ok.... in the mean time a fellow off ebay has purchased it for a whopping $0.99..... aslong as its gone from my house i'm happy.

I hope the chest freezer works out.... good score :)

Cheers, Pok

Back