Forgot To Rinse Sanitizer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was out back cleaning kegs and it dawned on me I made the above error in my assumption/memory (fail) :)

Happy to be corrected and apologies for the memory fail :)
I believe it breaks down to soda ash (sodium carbonate) & hydrogen peroxide, which then breaks down to oxygen and water itself.

theres a huge difference between sanitise and sterilise. one means its clean the other means theres nothing living on it.
big difference in my book

Hey I have an idea,

Let the dude either ditch the beer that has more sodium perc than I would like, or keep the little F$%^r? Up to him. I would ditch it as I said.

Then the next person who wants to discuss the relative merrits of sanitisers and cleaners, start a new thread. Please.
Fear.

Edit: Never speak for another......

Keep it. A little sodium carbonate never hurt anyone, it's what makes sherbet fizz!

It seems to be vaguely classed as a sanitizer and is probably very good for nappies ect. However there doesn't seem to be much info on concentration levels to make it effective as a sanitizer in the brewing environment.
Actually Coopers clearly class it as a sanitiser on their online store: https://store.coopers.com.au/shop/product/c...brew-sanitiser/

"Coopers Sanitiser contains Sodium Percarbonate, an environmentally friendly cleaner/sanitiser for beer making equipment."

It just doesn't say it's "no rinse", 'coz it's not!

Actually Coopers clearly class it as a sanitiser on their online store: https://store.coopers.com.au/shop/product/c...brew-sanitiser/

"Coopers Sanitiser contains Sodium Percarbonate, an environmentally friendly cleaner/sanitiser for beer making equipment."

Yes I saw that, but I'm not convinced that something you rinse off is as effective as something you don't.
And to be fair coopers also state that their Extract kits make beer as well so your argument is clearly flawed :lol:

Andrew

not one to let a good point go.. further reading here indicates that toxisity in humans is negligible, however... dont get it into your eye which isnt really that surprising.

ARTICLE IN HERA

snip " there is no concern for humans with regard to a possible genotoxicity or carcinogenicity of sodium percarbonate"

:icon_drunk:

with it being a Lager its another 3 weeks at zero degree's. i will be sure to report back on what the outcome is of not rinsing the sodium percarbonate. (however it was poured out)

well after letting it lager for 4 weeks at zero it got ready to bottle half and keg half>>> i tasted the kegged beer last night because it was ready ( the joys of kegging ) and I wasnt sure why it tasted odd.

now im not saying that the sanitizer left in there( which was just the lining of teh vessel not the whole 1.5ltrs, as i tipped it out but didnt rinse) had anything to do with it, i think i just made a poor beer and being a lager its A - harder/longer to make right(lookout) and B more noticable for off flavours, to me anyways...

I think i may wait to see how the bottle are in a few weeks and re-post my findings.

Latest posts

Back