Forgot to dry hop.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
So I put down a brew that called for a 20gr (20l) dry hop. I got it mixed up with another and kegged and carbed it. So if I hop in the keg, do I allow it to warm, use more hops, put in a hop bag and leave till the keg is finished or pull it out after a few days. Armarilo hops. I know there are many ways to skin a cat, and best practise would be to not forget, but what would you do now?
Thanks in advance.

Definitely put it in a sanitised bag and take out after a few days. 20g is not a lot, I'd put more in. Don't worry about temp.

i doubt you would even notice the difference the 20g would make. personally i would just leave it out and chuck em into your next brew.

Can definitely hop in the keg
Will draw out different aromas and in my experience add quite a bit of flavour...not too sure why, assuming temperature related. Either you're not going to hurt your beer at all and you may learn something in the process.

If its a 19L keg I wouldn't bother opening it up for 20g. I would either leave it out as I don't think it would make a big difference anyway or open it up and all at least 3 x that!

1g/L will absolutely make a difference unless you're so used to massive dry hop you've killed your palate.
Just degas the headspace, chuck in hops (in a bag - they can block tubes loose) and regas the headspace.

Easy done, works fine. No need to warm.

husky said:
If its a 19L keg I wouldn't bother opening it up for 20g. I would either leave it out as I don't think it would make a big difference anyway or open it up and all at least 3 x that!

Geez thats more than I used in total today lol

homebrewkid said:
Geez thats more than I used in total today lol
Hops must be addictive I think. Every APA/IPA I brew these days has more and more hops than the last. My last 19L keg of IPA used 610g hops, yummm..

husky said:
Hops must be addictive I think. Every APA/IPA I brew these days has more and more hops than the last. My last 19L keg of IPA used 610g hops, yummm..

Wow where are you getting your hops from ?
That would cost $60+ at my LHBS just in hops

I get mine from hop dealz. Generally around $35 for 450-500g so maybe $45 in hops for the batch. I have found that the more I brew the less the $$$ are a factor. When you consider it might take you 6-8 hrs all up to brew, bottle, clean up etc multiplied by your hourly rate at work, the cost of the ingredients are somewhat insignificant.

Agreed on that. Use the ingredients that make the beer you want to drink.

Latest posts

Back