Forgot My Late Hop Addition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

Reaction score
Had a good brew day on Saturday making an English pale ale, everything went to plan - until I started cleaning up and found my late hop addition on the bench :( . What to do?

I bittered with 30g Fuggles and 30g Styrian (2 plugs of each) - both FWH.

I planned to finish with 15g EKG and 15g Styrian (one plug of each). So now I am thinking of ULH. I've not tried this, but thought I would approach this as follows.
- wait three weeks (as I normally do)
- boil 150g of dex in 1 litre of water
- transfer boiling into coffee plunger and add 2 plugs
- steep for 10 min
- pour into bottling bucket
- rack beer from fermenter into bottling bucket
- bottle

Is this the way to go? And do hop additions sound right? Thanks guys, I'm feeling pretty silly ATM.

Maybe just Dry Hop in Primary after 7 days?????????

:icon_cheers: CB

Maybe just Dry Hop in Primary after 7 days?????????

OK, normally I rack to after 14 days to another fermenter, then cold condition for a week to clear up the beer before bottling. If i dry hop after 7 days, then I assume that I can still rack after 14 days? Do I use the same quantity of hops that I planned to use as late kettle additions?

Has anyone done a comparison of dry hopping vs ULH (ie hop tea). Do both give flavour and aroma? Would the same quantities of hops be used, or does one technique give more output than the other?

OK, normally I rack to after 14 days to another fermenter, then cold condition for a week to clear up the beer before bottling. If i dry hop after 7 days, then I assume that I can still rack after 14 days? Do I use the same quantity of hops that I planned to use as late kettle additions?

Has anyone done a comparison of dry hopping vs ULH (ie hop tea). Do both give flavour and aroma? Would the same quantities of hops be used, or does one technique give more output than the other?

Just dry hop after 7 days and Crash Chill after 14days(ensuring fermentation is complete first), you dont want to Transfer your beers too many times.... <_<

Ive found a little more bitterness with Hop Teas than Dry Hopping, only minor though.... Just use the same amount....

Back