Force Carbing And Increased Bitterness.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned somewhere back in these posts I use a fire extinguisher mounted upside down to the side of my fridge so can't put it into the fridge. Also just to add I never started this thread asking how to carb kegs. It was more about CO2 and bitterness and if CO2 can go off after many years sitting around.

@Ross...thanks for the offer but the method I used was suggested to me by a longtime brewer and member of this forum. It works for him and it works for me. It only takes 3-4 days and its carbed up. (When I don't stuff up and do it wrong)
It's not that difficult to connect the gas and charge to 400 kpa then disconnect, over 2-3 days. And by day 4 its good to go.
I went away this weekend so couldn't do it how I normally would. Once I get my other fridge setup or drill a hole in this one for the gas I will just keep the gas on at serving pressure until its done.

Why can't you mount it inside the fridge?

Why can't you mount it inside the fridge?

Because it wouldn't fit in the fridge with two kegs and a 9 litre and I would rather keep it oustide for now and save the space for kegs. Ive spoken to many people on here and other HBers who keep their gas bottle oustide the fridge and connect up to fill the keg with gas and disconnect. I did it this way with my first keg and it worked fine. After a serving session I just topped up to 12 PSI and left it until next time.

Once I use up the gas and get the dip tube removed I will probably sit it inside my new 450 litre fridge Im getting in a month or so as I will have the room for it.

A hole and two airlock grommets. Line holes in inner and outer skin with airlock grommets. Pass 8mm OD line through airlock grommets. Nice n snug.

Can't remember the size of the hole 12mm? Sounds too big... 10mm?

Once again I never asked about how to carb kegs or anything about force carbing etc.

All I asked was if forced carbing can lead to increased bitterness or if old Co2 can do the same.
And my questions were answered.
Where and how I mount my fire extinguisher and my chosen method to carb my beer is my problem. It works for me and many others Ive spoken to.

How long are you guys going to crap on about shit that has nothing to do with my original post and questions?? I didnt ask about mounting my extinguisher here so get over it FFS.

I did ask on another post and got some great advice which I used, so whats the big ******* deal????

@Stux...Thanks mate but I dont want to drill into this fridge, its only temporary until I get another one.

so whats the big ******* deal????

There's a general theme here, that you have issue with your beer/setup/flavours/recipes etc ... and start threads that take a lot of work and extra questions from everyone to help you get to the bottom of it.

Then everyone finds out you are doing beer/setup/flavours/recipes in a way that "some guy" said is how to do it - which is completely different to how everyone does it. Then you get shitty when people ask why you don't just do it the way that works.

If I may offer some advice: start the thread like this:

"Does carbonation affect bitterness?" That's it - no long-winded descriptions of how you are fumbling with your gear and put in twenty twelve psi for eighteen seconds with your hat on backwards, because you don't have a hole in your fridge. See, you lead people down a garden path and then get shitty at them when they question your techniques. It's textbook passive aggression.

You will get better answers if you don't bury your problem in too much information.

And since your question was about your beer - include your recipe in the first post.

From what I can see above, force carbonation has definitely lead to an increase in bitterness...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a general theme here, that you have issue with your beer/setup/flavours/recipes etc ... and start threads that take a lot of work and extra questions from everyone to help you get to the bottom of it.

Then everyone finds out you are doing beer/setup/flavours/recipes in a way that "some guy" said is how to do it - which is completely different to how everyone does it. Then you get shitty when people ask why you don't just do it the way that works.

If I may offer some advice: start the thread like this:

"Does carbonation affect bitterness?" That's it - no long-winded descriptions of how you are fumbling with your gear and put in twenty twelve psi for eighteen seconds with your hat on backwards, because you don't have a hole in your fridge. See, you lead people down a garden path and then get shitty at them when they question your techniques. It's textbook passive aggression.

You will get better answers if you don't bury your problem in too much information.

And since your question was about your beer - include your recipe in the first post.

Nick, I get your point on what your saying, and yes will include my recipe in the fist post in future.
But if you re-read my original post all I did say was

But one thing I did notice was that this beer along with my first kegged beer seems very bitter. It wasn't this bitter coming out of the fermenter.

I'm using a CO2 fire extinguisher and the gas in it is possibly quite old. It ran out of service this year and needs to be re-stamped before I fill it up, so the gas has been in there since it was last tested and stamped.

Not sure how long that would be but do they need re-stamping every 5 years or is it longer??

Anyway my question is can CO2 go off? Its just a gas so I'm thinking no but want to at least rule that out?

I mentioned that I had mistakenly added 58PSI instead of 38 PSI, then Slash said 58PSi for two days is overcarbed. I replied explaining I didnt do that.

I received a few replies on what it could be including the beer being too cold to which I agreed on.

You derailed the thread by saying I over complicated things with my forced carbing method. It works for me and my system and I know others that do it too. I wasnt asking anthing about my forced carbing method but this thread headed that way with questions about why do I disconnect the gas and why dont I put the bottle inside the fridge, why dont I just leave the gas botltle hooked up for a week at 12 psi etc etc.

This is the most crazy thread I've ever read.

This is how I do pale ales, and I'm some guy.

1. Brew
2. Ferment
3. CC day 5
4. Gelatine and force carb (ross method) day 7

The beer is freshest and best (but not the clearest) 15 mins after force carbing.

No carbonic bite, no green-ness, hop profile from (if any) dry hopping is the most prominent straight after kegging.

KISS :)

I'm gonna give this a bump. I noticed an increased bitterness in kegged beer (and bottled) after I stopped using my aluminium brew pot and moving to my stainless keggle. I have done both single and double brews. Has anyone else noticed a difference? Because I have when I kegged. My beers were ready to drink as soon as I forced carbed, now I brew in a keggle I need to wait a week or 2 just so the sharpness goes.

Increased hop utilisation because of the slower change in temperature in the stainless keggle after flame out?
Very brief reply due to phone-posting.

Fat ******* said:
Increased hop utilisation because of the slower change in temperature in the stainless keggle after flame out?
Very brief reply due to phone-posting.
I'd love to hear the non-brief version..

Latest posts

Back