Force Carbing And Increased Bitterness.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not put the gas bottle in the fridge and leave it connected to the keg at pouring pressure?

Carbing kegs doesn't need to be rocket science, or another 3 page thread.

EDIT - 4 page thread now, my bad.

Putting 300kpa on top of a full keg of beer & then disconnecting the gas & leaving overnight is going to take an eternity to carbonate to the correct level.
Gassing a keg is not rocket science. Truman, give me a call in the shop & I'll give you a quick education in carbonating beer. 07 3823 5252.

As for the beer tasting tasting too bitter from carbonating - Absolutely no difference bottle carbonating to keg carbonating (assuming gassed to same level), so look for other reasons, of which there are many.

cheers Ross

Edit: LOL - DrS beat me too it :)

Putting 300kpa on top of a full keg of beer & then disconnecting the gas & leaving overnight is going to take an eternity to carbonate to the correct level.
Gassing a keg is not rocket science. Truman, give me a call in the shop & I'll give you a quick education in carbonating beer. 07 3823 5252.

As for the beer tasting tasting too bitter from carbonating - Absolutely no difference bottle carbonating to keg carbonating (assuming gassed to same level), so look for other reasons, of which there are many.

cheers Ross

Edit: LOL - DrS beat me too it :)

Ross what if I put it on at 301kpa? Would it carb quicker or would the difference be neglegible? If the wind is blowing from the East I am advised by Florian that this also makes a difference (who can trust those Germans though <_< ). Winkle assures me he cannot get that old bitter fart smell he so likes in his belgians if he carbs on a full moon.......it is a difficult topic Ross and you should not go around oversimplifying it. Also those hops you've got on special this week are great! You can't go past all the Americans in stock at $4.00 for 90gms. Well done mate.

Why not put the gas bottle in the fridge and leave it connected to the keg at pouring pressure?

Carbing kegs doesn't need to be rocket science, or another 3 page thread.

EDIT - 4 page thread now, my bad.

As I mentioned somewhere back in these posts I use a fire extinguisher mounted upside down to the side of my fridge so can't put it into the fridge. Also just to add I never started this thread asking how to carb kegs. It was more about CO2 and bitterness and if CO2 can go off after many years sitting around.

@Ross...thanks for the offer but the method I used was suggested to me by a longtime brewer and member of this forum. It works for him and it works for me. It only takes 3-4 days and its carbed up. (When I don't stuff up and do it wrong)
It's not that difficult to connect the gas and charge to 400 kpa then disconnect, over 2-3 days. And by day 4 its good to go.
I went away this weekend so couldn't do it how I normally would. Once I get my other fridge setup or drill a hole in this one for the gas I will just keep the gas on at serving pressure until its done.

As I mentioned somewhere back in these posts I use a fire extinguisher mounted upside down to the side of my fridge so can't put it into the fridge. Also just to add I never started this thread asking how to carb kegs. It was more about CO2 and bitterness and if CO2 can go off after many years sitting around.

@Ross...thanks for the offer but the method I used was suggested to me by a longtime brewer and member of this forum. It works for him and it works for me. It only takes 3-4 days and its carbed up. (When I don't stuff up and do it wrong)
It's not that difficult to connect the gas and charge to 400 kpa then disconnect, over 2-3 days. And by day 4 its good to go.
I went away this weekend so couldn't do it how I normally would. Once I get my other fridge setup or drill a hole in this one for the gas I will just keep the gas on at serving pressure until its done.

While only on my 2nd keg carb, I see want Ross is saying. There is a big difference between a carbed up beer and a beer that tastes like Fermenter Vessel sample with a head on top. (ie a green tasting beer). I'm now looking for carbonation in the beer rather that on top. 2c

T, not everything said and done by everyone is gospel. Some is better than others' though. Do what works for you. And ffs, have a beer.

As I mentioned somewhere back in these posts I use a fire extinguisher mounted upside down to the side of my fridge so can't put it into the fridge. Also just to add I never started this thread asking how to carb kegs

At risk of being a bit pedantic you did say earlier

So all this talk of being able to keg a beer and be drinking it in a few days that Ive heard so much about, isn't quite true then]

So why would you not expect people to start giving you advice that you can carb in 24hrs or less?

That's it, the kitty gets it.

StrangleCat47DTd65.jpg

At risk of being a bit pedantic you did say earlier

So why would you not expect people to start giving you advice that you can carb in 24hrs or less?
Umm...Because I was joking. Being facetious in reference to Diesel80,s post where he said carbonic bitterness takes about a week to dissipate. You didn't see the smiley at the end of the post??
I know you can carb up a keg in 24 hours or less.
But doesn't mean it's going to be drinkable for many reasons including carbonic bitterness which I've learnt about through this thread, among other things, from those who read posts and provide good advice and suggestions.

But doesn't mean it's going to be drinkable for many reasons including carbonic bitterness which I've learnt about through this thread, among other things, from those who read posts and provide good advice and suggestions.
Bullshit. You've learnt nothing haha.

Umm...Because I was joking. Being facetious in reference to Diesel80,s post where he said carbonic bitterness takes about a week to dissipate. You didn't see the smiley at the end of the post??

Picked up on this thread late but hey!

Sounds similar to the problems I had once I started to keg. I hate the taste and bitter twang of green beer and found my forced carb beers didn't really become 'nice' untill a couple of weeks (conditioning time equivalent to natural carb). Other people didnt notice this taste and drank the beer anyway after less than 12h in the keg. Obviously there are factors affecting conditioning time etc but judging by your posts you are a little impatient and as with most things in brewing, time is your friend.

You can drink beer from fermenter and force carbed in less than an hour, I for one have stopped trying to do this as i have been dissapointed every time only to be pleasantly surprised 2 weeks later.

Best of luck mate.

Truman if the beer you are drinking is slighly flat, then not much C02 has been absorbed. You cant blame the C02 for an increase in bitterness. C02 does add mouth feel and bite other wise we would drink flat beer. But in your fist post you said it was slighty under carbed. Go by what has come out of your tap, not what you set the reg up to for a 30 sec squirt. If i was you drill a hole in the fridge, and carb at serving temp, gives it some time to settle and clear and you will drinking away in 5 days. Really easy and not a lot of waiting if that is your problem.

I'm using a CO2 fire extinguisher and the gas in it is possibly quite old. It ran out of service this year and needs to be re-stamped before I fill it up, so the gas has been in there since it was last tested and stamped.

Are you using food grade C02 then?

Obviously there are factors affecting conditioning time etc but judging by your posts you are a little impatient and as with most things in brewing, time is your friend.

No mate not at all. If I was I would have force carbed using the Ross method and be drinking it straight away. I was mainly concerned with the bitterness which appears to be from the beer being so cold when I first sampled it. As its a lot better now. Ive read many posts where brewers force carb and drink 24 hours later and I suppose with some styles you can get away with this. Ive only kegged two beers now and both times haven't been happy with the taste after a few days and waited a week or more for it to improve.

:icon_cheers:

@Drew9242....I agree with you about lack of co2 in the beer and I blame the initial bitterness on being served at such a cold temp as it improved a lot the next day after I fixed the fridge thermo and the fridge held temps at 4C.

Am I using food grade CO2???

It depends on which posters you beleive on the many threads on here about CO2 in fire extinguishers. Ive read enough and spoken to enough people to beleive that CO2 in fire extinguishers is no different to food grade Co2 and it comes out of the same pipe. Which includes people that have worked in the industry.

No mate not at all. If I was I would have force carbed using the Ross method and be drinking it straight away. I was mainly concerned with the bitterness which appears to be from the beer being so cold when I first sampled it. As its a lot better now. Ive read many posts where brewers force carb and drink 24 hours later and I suppose with some styles you can get away with this. Ive only kegged two beers now and both times haven't been happy with the taste after a few days and waited a week or more for it to improve.

:icon_cheers:

Wasnt meant to be a snipe dude, just surprises me how much difference a couple of weeks makes. People have different taste buds too, differing perceptions in flavour, mouthfeel etc

I cannot stomach any brew earlier than a week, others love it straight away. Time will tell which camps fire you sit around.

Wasnt meant to be a snipe dude, just surprises me how much difference a couple of weeks makes. People have different taste buds too, differing perceptions in flavour, mouthfeel etc

I cannot stomach any brew earlier than a week, others love it straight away. Time will tell which camps fire you sit around.

Mate I didnt take it that way at all and appreciate the advice. I agree with you fully, it certainly tastes better after a week or two, well it has with the two Ive kegged so far.

I think speedie got a better spell checker :icon_chickcheers:

still doesn't make any sense though

Latest posts

Back