For Those Who Need To Make A Measuring Stick!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get the sight tube?

Sight Glass from the states

It's a nice piece of kit... easy as to calibrate. There's a couple of options on the site. I got the keggle version and shared postage with Klieny and he got the straight sided pot version. IIRC shipping for 1 or 2 is the same.

I used to do all my measurements with a 2L plastic jug and this is exponentially easier.

Are the blue 59c Bunnings ones ok; or do I need to shop around for a 99c one :lol:

Also I have marked one kettle with an engraver inside the kettle to show the volumes. My other one I have just used a niko and marked it. As long as you don't hit it with the scourer too hard it lasts a long time.

QldKev

59c :eek:

The buggers ripped me off! :angry: :lol:

They aren't needed Hatchy.

I measure volumes using a 99c blue plastic bucket.

It has to be blue though, the other colours are far too inaccurate...... ;)

I've been using a 2L jug for volumes, I'd like a sight glass so I can underlet into my tun & because I seem to be quite good at getting distracted & losing count.

Those scales sound like what I'm after. I wanted them for grain, hadn't thought of weighing gas or kegs.

Where did you get those scales?

Why do I seem to always need more home brew gear?
SS 600mm rule for me, but scales sound so much easier. I'm thinking of going electric soon and sitting the boiler on scales would be oh so easy for volume/boil off tracking ... and I just filled in the ANHC survey where it asks for an estimate of brewing costs ... lucky I put a plus on the end of my figure ... :rolleyes: :D

Where did you get those scales?

Why do I seem to always need more home brew gear?

Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIGITAL-POSTAL-SHIP...3#ht_3710wt_905

The platform isnt quite big enough, so I sit a thin sheet of ply between it and the urn. Which also serves to protect it from the inevitable spillages. :lol:

But yeah, it does make life a lot easier on brew day. The only thing is it turns itself off after 60 seconds, so if you get sidetracked and start doing something else between your jug fills, you have to drain off into a cube and start again. I learnt that the hard way.

I've been using a 2L jug for volumes, I'd like a sight glass so I can underlet into my tun & because I seem to be quite good at getting distracted & losing count.

Those scales sound like what I'm after. I wanted them for grain, hadn't thought of weighing gas or kegs.

I underlet.

I 'measure' my water into my blue plastic buckets and then tip them into the HLT which sits on 2 crates.

Hasn't Jayse taught you anything about brewing, it's not the gear that makes the beer, it's the recipe and the brewer. ;) :p

You are much better spending your money trying to get as many hops into your glass as physically possible. Either that or hop tea and a catheter.

this is what i ended up doing to get around the auto turn off of the scales i had

here

and

here

it works a treat now i have the bugs ironed out

cheers matho

Back