• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Complete Working Herms System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benno-5

Reaction score
I have decided to sell my HERMS system due to lack of time (having children will do that).

It is a complete working system with HLT, Mash Tun, & Kettle.

I would like around the $1200 mark to cover the costs of what i have put into it.

I can be contacted by phone 0410626650 or email [email protected]

I am in Eltham Victoria

The pump is a March Pump (use only twice).

Mash Tun
- SS False Bottom
- Sparge Arm

HLT
- Electric Heating Element
- Heat Exchanger (copper coil)
- Mashmaster Thermometer

Kettle
Electric Heating Element

Here are some pictures

PICT5076.jpg

PICT5077.jpg

PICT5079.jpg

PICT5080.jpg

PICT5081.jpg

PICT5082.jpg

PICT5082.jpg

PICT5083.jpg

Not gonna offer to buy it, although some parts would be very handy!

Instead this post is to encourage you to keep it. Don't like seeing fellow brewers giving up the hobby, especially given the time and money you have spent :(

Can't lend it to a mate on the agreement that you get it back when you get more time as the kids get older?

Not gonna offer to buy it, although some parts would be very handy!

Instead this post is to encourage you to keep it. Don't like seeing fellow brewers giving up the hobby, especially given the time and money you have spent :(

Can't lend it to a mate on the agreement that you get it back when you get more time as the kids get older?

+1 Dont sell

Maybe there is a market for a HERMS for rent/hire? Potential AG'ers who dont have the cash to set up just yet. You could show em the ropes too.

If he doesn't have time to brew he likely wouldn't have time to teach multiple lessee's how to brew!

Shame to see you leaving the craft... but looks to be a great setup for someone with some spare cash wanting to move into AG. I'm sure any potential buyer would get plenty of help from jealous local brewers wanting to play on the HERMS, if need be.

Maybe there is a market for a HERMS for rent/hire? Potential AG'ers who dont have the cash to set up just yet. You could show em the ropes too.

A very good point & one well worth considering if you plan to come back to the fold in the future? It's obvious that you would recoup a lot of your outlay & still have your gear when\if you need it.

TP :beer:

i not giving it away completly, still doing kits with a bit of extras thrown in

i not giving it away completly, still doing kits with a bit of extras thrown in

I remember sometime last year there was another brewer in your same situation, kids and no time. Forum members talked that brewer into mothballing his system for later years. I would find it very hard to part with my precious. Have put far to much time into building it. Plus it is a nice piece of bling for the kids to look at when they grow up. It may even give them the bug to become a fully fledged brewer for a living.

BYB

Brew day is my favorite day.I do double batches and take until early avo....and love it !

Batz

Bit of a shame, but maybe he has other reasons also.. :unsure:

I look forward though to having a herms/rims(or brewboy) system in the coming years and when my 7 year-old boy gets older, hopefully get him into it aswell to show him how to make beer and maybe teach him about responsible drinking.. :D

I could imagine how envious his friends would be when they see his dad with a full on Keg set-up also..

right price too. a mate just sold basically the same system withouth the herms, two march pumps though this thing was the business...old school 80L kegs too. $1500 got sold within a week.

+1 for the don't sell it thing.

I've got two kids, one 18 months old and still manage to brew every second or third weekend, depending on the empty keg situation. I have an electric system on a timer set so that the HLT is ready at 6am. Am normally finished at around 10.30am. I normally brew on a Sunday morning and have the boil going before any other bodies have risen.

It can be done. Just takes a little more planning.

gary

+1 for the don't sell it thing.

I've got two kids, one 18 months old and still manage to brew every second or third weekend, depending on the empty keg situation. I have an electric system on a timer set so that the HLT is ready at 6am. Am normally finished at around 10.30am. I normally brew on a Sunday morning and have the boil going before any other bodies have risen.

It can be done. Just takes a little more planning.

gary

Yep can relate to that. Timer on HLT ready at 7ish.

MM we are getting a little :icon_offtopic: here arent we. But I suppose we aretrying to talk someone out of selling their precious.

BYB

Yep can relate to that. Timer on HLT ready at 7ish.

MM we are getting a little :icon_offtopic: here arent we. But I suppose we aretrying to talk someone out of selling their precious.

BYB

Same here have my HLT on a timer so i can mash in at 6am all over by 1030. I have 2 kids under 3

If he doesn't have time to brew he likely wouldn't have time to teach multiple lessee's how to brew!

That's a good point, but I was thinking it would perhaps be a little more infrequent then you are.

I was thinking you could let it out for say a quarter at a time for a couple/few hundred bucks (plus a deposit perhaps). Show the eager new bloke/lass how it works and leave them to it. They can call if they need you.
If you take cleaning, purchasing stuff, propagating yeast, cleaning, transferring primary's to secondary's, cleaning and cleaning etc out of your commitment & replace that with an infrequent walk through, you should get a decent net time saving. Im sure you find something to do with the money.
Might work, might not. From my experience I would have taken an opportunity like that if it was reasonably priced. You can dip your toe in the pool of AG with a nice piece of kit like this. Get 3 months to become familiar with the process, routines, great beer etc without having to fork out a fortune to see if you like it or not.
And, importantly, the owner can get their lovely HERMS back and working for them at some stage.

Benno - sorry to hijack your thread with this stuff. I really do hope that if the best result for you is a sale, then that's what you get. I have 2yo and a 5 month old. There have been too many dry periods in my taps but eventually you find the time.

Good luck

Cheers
Paul

I'm in the same boat as many of you - 3 year old and 6 month old (sitting on my lap as I type this now) :lol:

I went in the other direction when we had our first in anticipation of this (lack of brewtime), where I upgraded the brewery and I can now produce up to 70L post boil batches (I might be able to push it further, but 70L is fine atm). Pre-kids I was brewing at least every other weekend, or even every weekend. It allowed me to explore heaps of styles on a smaller batch scale, refine exisiting recipes and so on.

Now, I'm able to brew maybe every 3 weeks at best, or at least once a month but with larger production, I'm able to keep my taps wet and consumption met :rolleyes:

reVox

Back