Font Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to apologise to anyone I offended in that drunken rate!

Cheap grog gets me on a very high horse!

Sorry Wollongong, Belambi and Pt Kembla!

Sorry font sellers of Australia!

Looking at a font to purchase. The font is made of copper and brass (hoping it will look good on a Red gum slab) :icon_drool2: .2 taps, 2 beer lines and 2 copper lines. The question, is it a frosted font that will take glycol in the copper tubes. Seller doesn't know and I'm not real savvy on this as I thought that the lines for glycol are generally plastic. I've never seen a frosted copper font. Can it be done? Thanks in advance. Baldrick.

Lets put the bs aside and get back to the original question...

This font does have a floading feature however, the font will not freeze over. The copper/brass James Squire part actually slips over the flooded part. The best result you will get is condensation on the outer copper/brass font and cold beer in your riser line.

Your right in saying that the line for glycol to the font is generally plastic (or nylon), but fonts tend to use copper pipe to distribute the glycol throughout the font.

My kegging freezer died after a few years and I've found another that I'll collect today.
I thinking seriously about not flooding my fonts this time,I am not sure if it worth the hassle to tell the truth.As said here they only condense up and they draw mobs of cold out of your freezer.

Batz

I was toying with the idea of flooding mine, but seems a bit of an effort to get mediocre results, ie condensation not ice unless you have the proper glycol setup and I wont be springng the $$ on one of those, from what I have been reading. The guys down at Andale reckon water pumped through it would be sufficient to keep the font cold. I am guessing it would have to be running 24x7 or set up a pump on a MM fridge controller. I have ended up putting the insulation foam, the type used around hot water pipes, inside the font then put the beer lines through that. Hopefully that will at least keep the lines reaonably cold.

Time will tell...

Cheers

Sully

Mine had a 20 lt plastic jerry with water and a cheap pond pump.It does cool the font down but,watch your fridge mate temperature,I found the temperature went up by several degrees when it was running for a couple of hours.I only ran the pump if I was serving beer to friends and wanted to impress.
Oh and when you turn it off all the condensation runs all over you freezer top.

Batz

I also only chill my font for upto a min before serving.
My font will get ice on it with out freezing the beer in lines.

But even with the pump on - after an hour the ice chages to condensation.

Use a glycol machine with mine & usually just have it sweated

......But occaisonally I crank it up for some ice action :)

Frozen_font.JPG

Cheers Ross

Use a glycol machine with mine & usually just have it sweated

......But occaisonally I crank it up for some ice action :)

View attachment 21759

Cheers Ross

Good to see in these tough economic times Ross,I am always watching for more work,and when Callide Power see that thing they'll open another unit :lol: :lol:

My kegging freezer died after a few years and I've found another that I'll collect today.
I thinking seriously about not flooding my fonts this time,I am not sure if it worth the hassle to tell the truth.As said here they only condense up and they draw mobs of cold out of your freezer.

Batz

that's what i found, as long as the run isn't too long to the font, see here, YARDS BAR you don't need it at all.

Yard

Yes that is the font. <_< I was trying to be discreet but I should have known nothing gets past you guys on Ebay if it has anything remotely to do with beer. :lol: He has changed the postage deal a few times.

Oh buy the way thank you all for your feedback and a special thanks to Carbonator for setting him straight on posting :lol: Try poetry. A real PITA trying to organize postage from this end.

a special thanks to Carbonator for setting him straight on posting :lol: Try poetry.

It doesn't hurt to be wanting to do that bit extra to make a bit more on a sale. I've posted several fonts around the country sold on FeeBay and it's not hard to cut-up a vege box. Very strong stuff when tightly wrapped in packing tape.

I guess my drunken rants don't win me too many friends after swallowing so much "truth syrum". I just like telling it "like it is".

That font is very unusual and one either hates or loves it. It would suit a "Pirate bar"!

Yes that is the font. <_< I was trying to be discreet but I should have known nothing gets past you guys on Ebay if it has anything remotely to do with beer. :lol: He has changed the postage deal a few times.
I don't think I'll be bidding, just got a new font from Ross, but I reckon you can expect a bit of competition.
It's not often you'd see one of those around.

He has changed the postage deal a few times.

Yep, I saw the posted answered question advising $32 to post a 6KG parcel from Wollongong to Melb and personally feel it's a bit "RUDE", considering all the other repo cigarette boxes he/she is having to go to the post office for as well! We got a "postage rorter" here.

Well it seems that the seller of said font has barred me from bidding :( . Quote: carbonator has just cost you the chance to bid on it.80cm x 40cm x 30cm x 6-7 kg costs $30.50 to melbourne $7.20 to sydney.its not a 1cm like the one hes got!!!!! End quote. Don't know what I said to upset him but to bar someone from bidding over this is a bit childish. Took me right back to primary school days when I read it. He would not have known it was a flooded font or that it was called a font for me and this forum. Try to be nice to the guy and you get a kick in the arse. Letting him know that posting said item will give him a broader bidding group and therefore a greater end bid is not helpful :huh: Oh and carbonator I don't like your chances. Lucky your not interested :lol: .

Well it seems that the seller of said font has barred me from bidding :( . Quote: carbonator has just cost you the chance to bid on it.80cm x 40cm x 30cm x 6-7 kg costs $30.50 to melbourne $7.20 to sydney.its not a 1cm like the one hes got!!!!! End quote. Don't know what I said to upset him but to bar someone from bidding over this is a bit childish. Took me right back to primary school days when I read it. He would not have known it was a flooded font or that it was called a font for me and this forum. Try to be nice to the guy and you get a kick in the arse. Letting him know that posting said item will give him a broader bidding group and therefore a greater end bid is not helpful :huh: Oh and carbonator I don't like your chances. Lucky your not interested :lol: .

Plenty of others here that could bid for you

Batz

carbonator has just cost you the chance to bid on it.

Now I feel bad.

The seller smells of rotten eggs when it comes to postal mark-up, but not important to a buyer that really wants it.

You will know someone local that is on eBay and if it stays within your price range, get them to bid on your behalf.

Thanks Batz ;) A good little community we have here. Don't feel bad about it carbonator. Like you said I can get a mate local to bid on it. He wouldn't know who's who. Will he ban everyone that is within a certain distance from me? Plenty of other fonts out there or I may have a crack at building one from scratch. I know a good plumber

Back