Flavour Change Towards The Bottom Of The Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
Hey,

I've noticed that as I get to near the end of the keg (the last few litres), my beer gets a little more bitter; or at least the bitter flavours become more dominant. Why does this happen?

Cheers,

Dave

Could be something to do with the nature of the hop bittering compounds. Possibly they might not be completely soluble at a refrigerated temperature, and slowly move downwards in the keg as they might more dense than the bulk solution?

Just a crack-pot, mildly inebriated theory but could explain it if those "might"s are proven.

Well the dip tube is at the bottom, so that's where beer is drawn from. So for your theory to work, the hop compounds would have to float.

Does this happen? No idea.

that's what I was thinking; that some oils float a little, causing the last few litres to have more bitterness.

A lot of the flavour change could be to do with the time in the keg.
But I have noticed that the clarity of the last few pints improves

Normell

Normell

Yep, no need to tap the side of the keg to see how much is left. When the beer seems to have improved and tastes the best it has since the first pour, then you can guarantee the next pour will go VSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!
Bawling.gif

Normell

thought you filtered norm B)

++++

P&C - Can't say I've ever noticed this in a beer yet - maybe a slight infection is turning your beer sour after a time...

Cheers Ross

difference in carbonation can changea beer out of site too!

Never noticed excessive bitterness towards the bottom of a keg before P&K

OTOH I know that the last pint in a keg is always the best. Funny that. <_<

Warren -

thought you filtered norm B)

++++

P&C - Can't say I've ever noticed this in a beer yet - maybe a slight infection is turning your beer sour after a time...

Cheers Ross
Only some Ross :p

Cheers Ross

It's not a 'sour' flavour or other flavours associated with infection, just in increase in the dominance of the flavour of whatever bittering hop I used.

Never noticed excessive bitterness towards the bottom of a keg before P&K

OTOH I know that the last pint in a keg is always the best. Funny that. <_<

Warren -

I wouldn't say it's excessively so, just more bitter.

P&K I agree with what you are describing. I find when I first put a beer on tap after force carbonation it tastes sweet to me, maybe it's just new or a little undercarbonated. After a while it clears and carbs up and the bitterness is more to the fore, think the bitterness is masked a little by the other earlier taste sensations.
Cheers

I've noticed this as well, I reckon the flavour of the beer overall is cleaner towards the bottom of the keg, allowing the hops to really come through, but that's just my assumption rather than an educated opinion.
Is there some kind of test that can be done to find out the level of hop oil in solution?

Latest posts

Back